Friday 30 June 2023

A Little Music For A Groovy Attitude

It's Fluke Friday, with both sides of a mixtape that I recorded on 7th May 1997, featuring remixes of their own tracks and songs by other artists. 

I've previously shared my love for everything that came out of Jon Fugler, Mike Bryant and Mike Tournier's musical brains. They just tapped into something that, for me, absolutely captured the sheer euphoria of the early 1990s, the excitement of entering the last decade of the 20th century and being young, free and (intermittently) single in my twenties.

The quartet of Fluke singles spanning 1993 to 1994 - Slid, Electric Guitar, Groovy Feeling and Bubble - were stunning and should have been massive hits, blasting out of radios everywhere. Their remixes were also a guaranteed 'must buy', even if I didn't know or particularly like the artist. The ones featured here - Björk, New Order, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Pop Will Eat Itself, Yello and Talk Talk - are top notch, but were pretty much the (high) standard for all of their remixes. They even found time to moonlight as Lucky Monkeys, with another stonking Fluke remix to boot. 

A few sleevenotes: 
G.Feel.8.The Popsicle appeared on the Virgin Records compilation Signed Sealed Delivered 2 in 1994. It's actually a(nother) remix of Groovy Feeling, but different enough that it justifies the song featuring twice on one side (well, I think so anyway!). 
 
A remix of Jig appears on the expanded edition of The Techno Rose Of Blighty that was packaged with second album Six Wheels On My Wagon in 1993. I've gone for the John Peel session version here, originally transmitted 25 November 1990.

Squirt was radically remixed and released as a single to promote the Risotto album in 1997. The version here is from the previous album Oto (1995), a more downtempo, darker version which I think is my favourite of the bunch.

I've plenty more Fluke gems in the vault and I've re-posted a previous mixtape below. However, I think this is about as good an overview of Fluke's imperial phase as I could hope. It's definitely going to have me bouncing and jumping to and from work today. Yep, I'll be that guy.
 
Side One
1) Big Time Sensuality (The Fluke Moulimix): Björk (1993)
2) Groovy Feeling (Lolly Gobble Choc Bomb): Fluke (1993)
3) Bubble (Speechbubble): Fluke (1993)
4) Bjango (Fluke Remix 'Six To The Floor'): Lucky Monkeys (1996)
5) Spooky (Magimix By Fluke): New Order (1993)
6) G.Feel.8.The Popsicle: Fluke (1994)
7) Two Tribes (Fluke's Moulimix): Frankie Goes To Hollywood (1994)

Side Two
1) Electric Guitar (Vibrochamp): Fluke (1993)
2) RSVP (Supper Mix By Fluke): Pop Will Eat Itself (1994)
3) Philly (Jamateur Mix: Fluke (1990)
4) Jig (John Peel Session): Fluke (1990)
5) Tosh (Mosh) (Single Version): Fluke (1995)
6) How How (Dee Doo Dee Mix By Fluke): Yello (1994)
7) Squirt (Oto Album Version): Fluke (1995)
8) Life's What You Make It (The Fluke Remix): Talk Talk (1990)

Side One (45:21) (Box) (Mega)
Side Two (45:24) (Box) (Mega)
 
Fluke (Singles) Side One and Side Two

No comments:

Post a Comment