Thursday 29 June 2023

Sixty Six

Happy birthday to Robert Forster, born 29th June 1957.

For one of my favourite singer songwriters, this selection is surprisingly light on sleevenotes. I'll fess up: I got home late from work and the last thing I wanted to do was stare at a computer screen for another hour or so. At the same time, I wanted to do something more than post a few YouTube links. The compromise is a hastily composed post this morning before the usual chaos at Casa K.

So - and perhaps quite rightly - I'll let Robert's music speak for itself. This 13-song selection comprises 'covers' of The Go-Betweens, including one written by Grant MacLennan, a choice from each of his solo albums, plus a few B-side and live treats.

What a guy.

1) Rock 'n' Roll Friend (Album Version By Edwyn Collins) (Cover of The Go-Betweens) (1996) 
2) In Her Diary (Live @ Weekend #3 Festival, Cologne, ft. Jherek Bischoff & String Quartet) (Cover of The Go-Betweens) (2013)
3) Beyond Their Law (1993)
4) People Say (Single Version ft. Jherek Bischoff & String Quartet) (Cover of The Go-Betweens) (2013)
5) Crazy Jane On The Day Of Judgement (2019)
6) Brookfield 1975 (1993)
7) Echo Beach (Cover of Martha & The Muffins) (ft. Mick Harvey & Warren Ellis) (1994)
8) Quiet Heart (Live @ Joe's Pub, New York) (Cover of The Go-Betweens) (2008) 
9) The Morning (Marc Riley Session) (2019) 
10) Is This What You Call Change (1990)
11) I'm So Happy For You (2015)
12) Let Your Light In, Babe (2008)
13) When I Was A Young Man (2023) 
 
1990: Danger In The Past: 10
1993: Calling From A Country Phone: 3 
1993: Drop EP: 6
1994: I Had A New York Girlfriend: 7
1996: Warm Nights: 1
2008: Live @ Joe's Pub, New York: 8
2008: The Evangelist: 12 
2013: Live @ Weekend #3 Festival: 2
2015: Songs To Play: 11
2017: People Say EP: 4 
2019: Inferno: 5
2019: Marc Riley Session EP: 9
2023: The Candle And The Flame: 13
 
Sixty Six (51:43) (Box) (Mega)

11 comments:

  1. His latest album is really quite special, particularly the track you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's just wonderful. Had you heard Brookfield 1975 before? Another (I guess autobiographical) reflection on teenage experiences and I think one of the finest songs Robert's written, which is saying something. Incredible that this song was tucked away as a B-side.

      Delete
  2. I reckon the run of albums since 2008, Evangelist/Songs to Play/Inferno/Candle and the Flame, is as strong a body of work as from any period of his career. Looking forward in particular to checking out the rarities on your playlist. Many happy returns of the day Mr F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wholeheartedly agree, Ernie, the quality hasn't dipped at any point in Robert's career, just wonderfully captured the passing of time and the range of emotions that that brings with it.

      As for the rarities, I feel bad that I haven't given credit where it's due. Quiet Heart was kindly offered up on The NYC Taper music blog and you can find the entire 2008 show at https://www.nyctaper.com/2008/09/robert-forster-september-15-2008-joes-pub-soundboard-flac-and-mp3-downloads/

      I've misplaced the link to the Weekend #3 Festival show as I got that from another blog several years ago but if I can track it down I'll post a link.

      As for the new version of People Say, I've got JC to thank for that one:
      https://thenewvinylvillain.com/2020/10/13/some-go-betweens-tunes-with-added-strings/

      Delete
    2. ** coughs with embarrassment ** I'm so sorry, TS, I'd just replied to a comment by Ernie on another post and clearly his name was etched on my brain.

      Delete
  3. hi

    would you like to exchange links?
    i've added you to my bloglist.

    https://040z.blogspot.com/

    no probs if not.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice selections there, oof, thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete