Thursday 20 July 2023

Be Seeing You

No, not my final ever post, you may be relieved or dismayed (or indifferent) to hear, but a nod to The Prisoner, a TV series that ended over half a century ago yet continues to intrigue, confound and inspire.

Likewise, the Welsh village of Portmeirion, the location of The Village in the series, has also been a go-to for music video shoots. I've included a selection here, including a couple filmed for legendary music show The Tube, produced by Channel 4 in the 1980s, which was also where I watched - and fell in love with - The Prisoner for the first time.
 
First up is The Times with I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape from 1982. Edward Ball wrote and first recorded the song as a single in 1980 as Teenage Filmstars. The Times' video was directed by Nick Morris and a recreation of The Prisoner, including what many may argue is a more satisfying ending that the TV series' controversial final episode.
 
In 1987, The Tube had a special episode, titled "The Laughing Prisoner", filmed in Portmeirion. Jools Holland was the titular character and the opening of this clip features Jools and Stephen Fry, the latter performing possibly the worst umbrella lob committed to video.

The main feature is Siouxsie & The Banshees' cover version of The Passenger. I was (and still am) a huge fan of the band and their music so it was always a thrill to see them on TV. I'm not sure I'd heard Iggy Pop's original and frankly unbeatable version at the time. Either way, the Banshees' version may have been deemed worthy of a single but it's not their finest moment. The band look super cool though.

I'm not sure I've even seen the 1982 promo for See Those Eyes by Altered Images before. If I did, I completely forgot that like The Times, this was also directed inspired by The Prisoner. Much as I enjoy seeing Ed Ball in action, I didn't have a crush on him as a pre-teen, so Clare Grogan is going to win every time, no contest.

Fast forward to 1995 and Supergrass won me over with their cheeky chappy song and video, Alright. As impressive as the lads racing around Portmeirion on Chopper bicycles is, nothing can top Gaz Coombes' mutton chops, the likes of which I'd not seen since Amos Brearly was pulling pints in The Woolpack on Emmerdale Farm.

Back to 1987 and The Tube who, prior to "The Laughing Prisoner" special, filmed XTC performing a couple of songs in Portmeirion. The Meeting Place has Colin Moulding on lead vocals and full McGoohan garb, bar his hairstyle. I think Billy Ray Cyrus was paying close attention to the latter.

I'll confess that I've never heard of Ulysses before "researching" today's post. Even more galling to discover that they're from Bath, a reasonably short jaunt from Casa K. Situation Man was a released as a single from 2019 album On Safari (sadly, not a tribute to another classic TV show and presenter, as far as I can tell). If you like what you hear, you can find the album and other Ulysses releases on Bandcamp.

Ironically, this chap released a single in May 1989 called The Prisoner and even named the 12" version "The Portmeirion Mix". Was it enough to get him a free pass to Portmeirion? Hell no.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was a win-win for me, CC, I had a crush on them both!

      Delete
  2. Always fancied going to Festival no.6 when it was on there but alas another festival that bit the dust..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Mike, they had some pretty varied and spectacular line-ups during their all-too brief run.

      Delete
  3. As a lover of all things Prisoner-related, I enjoyed that, especially the Altered Images video, as I hadn't seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, isn't it?

      I'm a huge fan of The Prisoner TV show, but the 1980s comic series Shattered Visage left me cold and I can happily live the rest of my life without seeing the 2009 TV remake with Caviezel and Ian McKellen again.

      Delete
  4. Also a fan of The Prisoner so I love this post (and very fond of all the bands within it - apart from now knowing Ulysses until now but liking that too!) Enjoyed watching a re-run of the series on the Legend (ex-Horror) Channel last year having not seen it since the '80s on Channel 4 as you did. Just must make it up to Portmeirion one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. I bought The Prisoner on DVD back in the days when they were issued separately as rip-off 1/2 episodes per disc, though I will have waited for an HMV-type multi-buy discount offer! They're saved on my PC now, the originals donated to a charity shop years ago before box sets, Blu Ray and streaming rendered them completely worthless.

      As for Portmeirion...BlogCon24?

      Delete
  5. Great post. I too have as fascination with the place, but worry that it won't match my expectations if I ever visited. Like when you see the pyramids and realise how close they are to the city. Or Stonehenge - what a disappointment that was!

    Interested by Ulysses though. They've gone on the list. Particularly as they have a song called Why Aren't These People My Friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I feared the same on a college trip to "Gaudi's Garden" in Barcelona in the 1990s, having first seen it as a location shoot for Propaganda's p:Machinery. Thankfully, it didn't disappoint.

      Yes, Ulysses is another one of those serendipitous discoveries that come from my regular rabbit hole approach to writing these posts. I'm also rather taken by the title (and heavy riffs) of Bad Tattoo, so the album's on my next payday shopping list and I may work back from there.

      Delete