Wednesday 5 July 2023

Bizarre Love Octangle

I love Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order. And clearly, many, many other artists do too. A brief trawl of t'internet will easily unearth over 100 cover versions, a large percentage complete dreck, with some interesting and engaging versions along the way.

Here's eight of 'em, starting with Catherine Anne Davies aka The Anchoress. I'm biased as I think she's a great artist in her own right but she also has a way with a cover version and this take on Bizarre Love Triangle is a fine example. Originally released as part of her monthly Bandcamp exclusive series in 2022, it was given a bright remix by Mario McNulty for a single release earlier this year. You can get both versions, plus her wonderful take on This Is Yesterday on Bandcamp. If you're quick, you can also catch Catherine joining the Manics onstage to perform the latter at Glastonbury via BBC iPlayer.
 
The first cover version of Bizarre Love Triangle that I heard was on the John Peel Show, when he played Devine & Statton's stripped down acoustic rendition of the song, coming in at a lean 2:11. Alison Statton and Ian Devine (aka Ian Pincombe) respectively came from Young Marble Giants and Ludus and released a couple of albums in 1989 and 1990. Bizarre Love Triangle was released on 12" only, the B-side featuring a cover of Crystal Gayle's Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue.
 
Australian popsters Frente! were clearly paying attention as they released a similar acoustic take as a single in 1994. The version seemed ubiquitous at the time and I assumed must have been a huge hit but my memory seems to be betraying me as the song didn't manage to crack the Top 75 in the UK. I like it, but not quite as much as Devine & Statton's version.

Someone else who was taking note of the above was Nouvelle Vague, who recorded their version in 2005 but don't appear to have released it until their Rarities compilation in 2019. If you like Nouvelle Vague's approach, you'll love it. If you don't, you won't.
 
I must admit, I'd forgotten all about South, a three-piece rock band who were unusually signed to James Lavelle's Mo Wax label in 2001. I think I've got a Death In Vegas or UNKLE remix of one of their songs knocking about somewhere in my collection. They released several albums in the Noughties and their version of Bizarre Love Triangle appeared in 2006. It's a livelier and largely inoffensive take on the song.
 
I'm going to have to disappoint Ernie from 27 Leggies as I couldn't find a Mandatory Reggae Version that was even halfway decent. Instead, here's Dub Colossus with an, erm, dub that if I'd heard without sight of the title would have been hard pressed to identify as a cover of Bizarre Love Triangle. Good though.
 
What's that? If only someone had recorded a ukelele-led instrumental version of Bizarre Love Triangle? Here's Hawaii's finest, Jake Shimabukuro, to oblige with a Daytrotter Session performed in Davenport, Iowa in 2018 (29th September, to be precise).
 
Last but not least is a version that I discovered and heard for the first time when preparing this post. Here are the brilliantly-named Fukushima Dolphin, busking on Brighton beachfront in 2022. Eight minutes of pure joy. Keep an eye on the couple to the right of the band, they are clearly having a whale of a time.
 

After all that, it seems a bit mean not to include the original and best, doesn't it? Oh, go on then.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Dub Colossus. As you say, we will have to take their word for it that is 'Bizarre Love Triangle'. If you like their stuff they have a 'name your own price' live album from last year over on Bandcamp which is very good: https://dubcolossus.bandcamp.com/album/live-jazz-cafe-2021

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Ernie. I've been a fan of Dub Colossus for a long time, having followed (Count) Dubulah from his time with Transglobal Underground. I haven't heard the Jazz Cafe album yet though, I will head on over to buy a copy!

      Delete
  2. What an excellent octangle. I enjoyed them all - perhaps (as you and Ernie say) Dub Colossus' version will take a little more "convincing" than the others but still good to have my mind opened! And I love Nouvelle Vague so that was right up my avenue.
    Proof that, in most instances anyway (if you disregard the murderous mawkish feeble female-vocal-over-tinkly piano interpretations used in ads...) you can't keep a good song down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Loved the Manics' set at Glastonbury and The Anchoress' performance with them

      Delete
    2. Thanks, C. Ernie's recommendation of the Dub Colossus Live At Jazz Cafe 2021 is spot on. Sadly, this also serves as a posthumous tribute to founder Nick Page aka Count Dubulah, who died earlier that year but there's much to enjoy in their back catalogue.

      I wasn't immediately grabbed by Nouvelle Vague but I grew to like them a lot.

      The trend for downbeat, stripped back, achingly pretentious cover versions places most of them firmly in the dreck pile. I'm anticipating a heartfelt version of Barbie Girl by Adele to bring a chill to this summer when the film comes out!

      Delete
    3. I had a ticket to see The Anchoress in May and was unable to go. She was brilliant, I've heard. I love her version of This Is Yesterday so it was a delight to see her join the Manics on stage. As you say, it was a great set from start to finish.

      Delete
  3. Solid! I too love this song, and am thrilled you pulled together the best covers. I agree, there are a lot that are not worth the time, so you've done the hard work and filtered out the noise.

    ReplyDelete