Monday 3 July 2023

Just One Fleeting Glance

I finally got to see Sparks' headline performance at Glastonbury at the weekend, an hour-long set that was just brilliant from start to finish.

The title track of their current album, The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte, is delivered two songs in with a special guest appearance from Cate Blanchett, recreating her moves from the video. The rest of the show includes some obvious/inevitable classics including The Number One Song In Heaven (with Ron's mid-song dance routine) and This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us. 

It was also great to hear When Do I Get To Sing 'My Way' from Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins (1994) and the title songs from Angst In My Pants (1982), Music That You Can Dance To (1986) and Balls (2000), a reminder of just how deep and rich their music catalogue is.

Hard to believe that this was Sparks first appearance at Glastonbury in their own right (they appeared with Franz Ferdinand as FFS in 2015) and they absolutely smashed it.

To celebrate, another single from the latest album was released a few days ago. Escalator wasn't performed at Glastonbury but the video brings back memories of Mrs. K and I navigating the madness of the Shibuya and Roppongi escalators during our stop in Tokyo in 2005. Seems like a lifetime ago now.

Sticking with Japan, CD releases there frequently feature bonus tracks and The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte is no exception. This Is Not The World I Signed Up For could be a single in it's own right, it's that good.


2 comments:

  1. I saw sparks the last time they played Bristol. It was a spur of the moment thing and I hadn't ever seen them before or was particularly bothered that I hadn't seen them. However once I had seen them I couldn't believe it took me that long to see them live - a force of nature. Other people have go to destinations on their bucket list - my recommendation would be to save your money and just go and see Ron and Russell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them for the first (and so far only) time on the Two Hands, One Mouth tour at the O2 Academy in Bristol. Horrible venue but wonderful experience. Even with just the two of them, they just sounded huge. I'd love to see them again with a full band, especially going by the Glastonbury performance. Just incredible.

      Delete