Thursday 21 September 2023

Late Summer Odyssey

Beck and Phoenix released a collaborative single back in June, which completely passed me until last week. Celebrating their then-upcoming co-headlining Summer Odyssey tour, the song is unsurprisingly called Odyssey. 

It's got Phoenix's trademark sound all over it but it's also in the same wheelhouse as Les Rythmes Digitales' 80s-inspired remix of Beck's song Mixed Bizness from 2000, albeit Odyssey has a much more laid back, funkier vibe. And is that bass reminiscent of Once In A Lifetime by Talking Heads? I suspect that last comparison has been made a thousand times online already.
 
Whatever, it's a fun three and three-quarter minutes and whilst the promise of a late UK summer in September seems to have been washed away by constant rain, the sound of Odyssey at least allows the illusion of sun-kissed days.
 
There are loads of live versions of Odyssey available online. I've opted for one from their show at the Hayden Homes Amphitheater in Bend, Oregon on 3rd August. It's very front-row and perhaps doesn't capture the full majesty of the band set up and back drop, but you do get crystal clear framing shots of Thomas Mars and Beck.

I haven't seen Beck on TV or other media for a long while and watching this video, I was immediately struck by his resemblance to Gene Wilder in Stir Crazy. Or is it just me?

7 comments:

  1. Like it. It's funky. They should have cast Beck in the new Willy Wonka movie rather than that preening peacock Chalamet. I might have been more willing to go see it then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't unsee Johnny Depp's abomination not matter how many times I re-watch Gene Wilder's version. I've never made an intentional decision to see a film because of Timothée Chalamet's involvement and Wonka ain't the one to buck the trend.

      Delete
  2. You see my daughter really wants to see Wonka. Which means I'll have to watch it. It might be good you know. Swc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago, I was in a similar position with the remake of Dr, Doolittle with Robert Downey Jr. Wonka's got to be better than that, surely...?

      Delete
    2. Lady K was equally unimpressed, I have to add.

      Delete