Wednesday 18 October 2023

I Am Not Unconscious, I Am Wide Awake

David Holmes and Raven Violet are back with a new single, Stop Apologising, less than a month after their previous release, Necessary Genius.
 
Stop Apologising is a pulsing, electro glam rock stomp, a 2020s relative of Goldfrapp's Ooh La La. The radio edit is a stripped back affair, lyrically pared down to a singular chorus cycle
 
Stop apologising 
For the things you’ve never done 
Stop catastrophizing 
Get your feet back on the ground 
Intoxicating promises 
Losing touch with my own mind 
I am not unconscious, I am wide awake 
And not so blind
 
The single offers up the full length version plus a pair of remixes (vocal and instrumental) each from Horse Meat Disco and Cosmodelica. The former push the Giorgio Moroder needle into the red, upping the tempo and creating an insistent, throbbing dancefloor pulse with stabbing keyboard chords and an additional verse to boot
 
Before I die 
I wanna know that I have lived 
So I called the locksmith 
He did the best with what he had 
He helped me deal with things 
I did not understand 
Cautionary mycology 
Now putty in my hands 

Colleen Murphy's remixes pull the song and stretch it into elastic funk, the underpinning bassline immediately reminding me of the CSS remix of Office Boy by Bonde Do Role from 2007. The Cosmodelica remix takes things further, with rising waves of synths crashing over funky guitar licks and Raven's vocals. Right now, impossible to pick a favourite, they're all excellent.

For added enjoyment/nostalgia value, the accompanying video for Stop Apologising looks like it was created on a ZX81. Wow and then wow.

 
Necessary Genius is also a superb single, one that evokes the sound and feel of Holmes' previous album The Holy Pictures and particularly the Andrew Weatherall remix of I Feel Wonders. Raven runs through a call list of "dreamers, misfits, radicals, outcasts", name checking Angela Davis, Tony Wilson, Nina Simone, Lord Sabre and the recently departed, deeply missed Sinéad O'Connor. 

The digital release is a bumper package with seven additional remixes from Skymas, Decius, Phil Kieran (vocal and dub versions), Robin Wylie and two 'Dub And Response' reworks from Andrew Hogge aka Lovefingers at 142 and 130 bpm respectively. All are worth your time and your money.
 
All of this is a precursor to the release of David Holmes' fifth album (ignoring his numerous film and TV soundtracks), Blind On A Galloping Horse, on 10th November. 

 
In addition to Raven Violet's contrbution throughout, "there are spoken word accounts from Afghan and Ukrainian refugees now welcomed as residents in Belfast, alongside a Palestinian ambulance driver and French and Irish observers of the UK’s turmoil of recent years. Their voices add to the feeling that this record is a call to action, a motivation and a head clearing, slate wiping journey."
 
On the strength of these two songs, the inclusion of previous singles Hope Is The Last Thing To Die and It's Over, If We Run Out Of Love in updated versions and the promise of Holmes' recording of an unreleased Andrew Weatherall song called I Laugh Myself To Sleep, Blind On A Galloping Horse is a surefire contender for my (very long) list of album highlights of 2023.

Blind On A Galloping Horse is available for pre-order in physical and digital formats right now from the usual suspects. I was going to add it to my Christmas list but I just couldn't wait.

4 comments:

  1. You and Swiss Adam are both raising expectation levels for the LP today. Two blogs with a united vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Swede. Wow, I love it when that happens. The connecting lines in this part of the blogosphere are frequently apparent! Probably inevitable in this case, given the quality of David Holmes' music right now.

      Delete
  2. In step with each other again today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely playing catch up, Adam! I was still immersed in Necessary Genius and it's various remixes and hadn't got around to writing about it when Stop Apologising dropped. I really enjoyed your post, very well said.

      Delete