Thursday 26 October 2023

Projected Sounds, Electronic Sound, Plans Run Aground

GLOK aka Andy Bell is the latest addition to my far-too-long list of gigs that I bought a ticket for but subsequently didn't make it to.
 
I'm writing this on the morning of Tuesday (24th) and I would have been at Moles in Bath the same evening, to experience Andy, with support from the Bytes DJs and Bristol's own Minotaur Shock aka David Edwards.
 
An unfortunate and unavoidable convergence of events has meant that I will instead be ferrying Lady K to the far side of Bristol, whilst Mrs. K fulfills another commitment in Gloucestershire. And, when it comes down to it, there's no contest, that's the important stuff. Even so, a little gutted.
 
As consolation - or to rub salt in the wounds, depending on your perspective - Andy recorded a set for the magazine Electronic Sound in June 2022. GLOK is the second of (to date) sixteen Electronic Sound Live Sessions, spanning Blancmange, Ultramarine, Nik Colk Void, Scanner and Hifi Sean & David McAlmont. You need to be a subscriber to access the full content but at £1 for Week 1 then £5 per month thereafter, I'm sorely tempted to add this to my Christmas list.
 
The opening video is a taster of the set, Projected Sounds from the debut GLOK album, Dissident. Strobing lights, head down in Adidas bucket hat, a psychedelic mash-up of guitar licks and synth twiddles, it's all there in a mesmerising five-minute package.

Electronic Sound were so enamoured with Andy's set that it received an official release at the end of September. Gateway Mechanics is an eight-song album, reworking and recreating songs from the two GLOK albums into a seamless and satisfying whole. I went for the digital format available on Bandcamp, the limited edition of 500 pressed on yellow vinyl and available exclusively via Electronic Sound quickly sold out following release. 

 
As Bandcamp Friday is coming up again in November, a visit to the Minotaur Shock shop would also be in order. I'm also gutted that I'm missing David's set as I saw him live in concert for the first and last time way back in 2005, at the Fiddlers club in Bristol. I was a fan of the (then two) Minotaur Shock albums, Chiff-Chaffs and Willow Warblers and Maritime (the latter on 4AD, no less) and it was a great show as I recall. Here's hoping I'll get another opportunity to see Andy and David in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I cracked early on and bought this on vinyl. Played it loads, really enjoy these live versions of the songs.

    ReplyDelete