Sunday 15 October 2023

Sendimentary Sedentary

Some heavy shit for a Sunday...or a selection of soothing sounds? You decide.

A couple of 1970s monolithic classics signposted by Julian Cope in his Japrocksampler from 2007 and providing my introduction to Flower Travellin' Band and Taj Mahal Travellers. The rest is 21st Century chillout music courtesy of Moby and Richard Norris, along with spikey prog from Steven Wilson and an Orbient excursion from Chocolate Hills aka Alex Paterson and Paul Conboy.

Hopefully, the two hours will have passed without your noticing and you won't get into trouble for not doing that job you were supposed to have done an hour and a half ago. If not, well... c'est la vie.

For your extended listening pleasure, I've revived links to a couple of previous epic-length mixes, just in case you haven't got anything better to do than listen to my self-indulgent selections...!
 
1) Hiroshima (Live @ Yokosuka Bunka Kaikan, Japan): Flower Travellin' Band (1972)
2) LA1: Moby (2016)
3) Radier II: Steven Wilson (2011)
4) Midsummer 3: Richard Norris (2023)
5) IV: Taj Mahal Travellers (1974)
6) And At The Same Time: Chocolate Hills (2019)
 
1973: Make Up: 1
1975: August 1974: 5
2011: Grace For Drowning: 3
2016: Long Ambients 1: Calm. Sleep.: 2
2019: A Pail Of Air: 6
2023: Music For Healing: Equinox 7: 4
 
Sendimentary Sedentary (2:08:55) (KF) (Mega)

Monoliths from May 2023 is available here 
On a similar theme, you can also find Chic Thug Stuttered Through A Stereo Dream from August 2021 here 

2 comments:

  1. 'Japrocksampler' is a cracking read but personally I was less impressed by most of the stuff I sampled at Mr Cope's suggestion. But perhaps you can persuade me to the contrary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ernie. I'm not sure that this is the selection to persuade but thanks if you did make it through the two-hour marathon!

      Similar to you, I was intrigued but not blown away by the most of the music I discovered after reading Japrocksampler. I don't think I've listened to (m)any of the albums start to finish since the initial seeking out but I do revisit individual songs on a regular basis.

      Even then, I need to be in a particular frame of mind to dive in, Les Rallizes Dénudés especially!

      Delete