Monday 29 July 2024

Infinite Sunrise


The Orb's 1991 song Perpetual Dawn is one of the greatest singles and album tracks of the year, decade, all time, in any genre. I never tire of listening to it and it sounds as 'now' in 2024 as it did over three decades ago.

Clearly in agreement, the full nine-and-a-half minute version from The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld has been reissued with a brand new video, visualised by Kavi-Karnapura Robin Buckley.

Alex Paterson pops up here and there, vintage footage woven into the visual fabric. Thomas Fehlmann joins him on the decks at 4:42 and Alex and Youth aka Martin Glover come together for a split-second 'then and now' segment at 4:51

The narrative, such as it is, either makes no sense or complete sense, depending on how you approach it but as someone who is ambivalent about AI and/or CGI, this is a compelling watch and if it introduces a new audience to the greatness of The Orb and Perpetual Dawn, all the better.

6 comments:

  1. You're right Khayem - a song for eternity and a video that fits to this song. When I saw Thomas Fehlmann appearing on the decks made me thinking of his first post-punk days with Palais Schaumburg. A story should be told later this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Walter, I'm looking forward to reading the Thomas Fehlmann story.

      Delete
  2. Great track, never gets tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do mix of all the versions and I'd still need to put it on a loop, just to hear them all over again.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful! Thanks for a reminder of this gem, and sharing the new video. I find that I listen to the remixes of this track more than this original long form version. Happy you urged me to revisit it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mooz. I'm the same: I reckon Andrew Weatherall's Ultrabass II remix is one of the most played songs in my collection, full stop. They're all fantastic, but it's good to reminded of the album version especially with the new video.

      Delete