Friday 19 July 2024

Whang Numbers

Six numbers by Nancy Whang, who I was delighted to see on stage with LCD Soundsystem at Glastonbury...well, courtesy of BBC iPlayer, if not in person.

So, what better excuse to revisit some of Nancy's extra curricular activity? I tried to select songs where she either assumes lead vocals or is up front in the mix. Trying then to find videos where Nancy makes an appearance was even tougher, so I pretty much copped out by the end. Sadly, her guest spot on IDLES' 2023 single Dancer doesn't make the cut on both counts.

However, plenty to enjoy along the way, closing with a sampler from a 2014 EP of Nancy covering some Casablanca Records catalogue classics which may have you reaching for your credit card.

And not to ignore LCD Soundsystem completely, here's a timely reminder of one of James, Nancy and the crew's finest moments.

Happy House: The Juan MacLean (2008)
All You're Waiting For: Classixx ft. Nancy Whang (2013)
Do That Dance: Shit Robot ft. Nancy Whang (2014)
E Talking (Nite Version - Felix Da Housecat Edit): Soulwax ft. Nancy Whang (2005)
Sharevari: Aidan Noell ft. Nancy Whang (2022)
I Was Made For Loving You (Extended Version) (Cover of Kiss): Nancy Whang & Drop Out Orchestra (2014)
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I see what you did with that title. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think even NME would have rejected that one back in the day, Ernie.

      Delete
  2. Better than 'That's Numberwang!'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you were going to mention Welly Wanging for a moment there, Mike...

      Delete
  3. That Classixx album is a fav of mine - could you do a French elctro dance mix please? - so Daft Punk, M83(Midnight City), Classixx, Justice(did you see them at Glasto?), Air, Ettienne De Courcey etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, now that's an interesting proposition! Let me see what I can do.

      I haven't see the Justice at Glasto set yet - it is on my list if I can get there before BBC iPlayer pulls them all.

      I know it was AutoCorrect playing havoc with your comment, but I was very tickled by the reference to "Ettienne De Courcey". I'm imagining the "Super Discount Meets Nookie Bear" mash-up right now!

      Delete