Thursday 11 July 2024

Melbourne In The New S.A.

A little bit of feel good from Confidence Man, straight out of Southeastern Australia. 

I've seen very few of the Glastonbury 2024 sets and from the shortlist of shows available on iPlayer, I suspect I'll get through relatively little before they all disappear for good. 
 
However, after completely smashing up the stage (metaphorically speaking, they're not that irresponsible) in 2022, Confidence Man was a must see and they didn't disappoint.
 
Third album 3am (La La La) arrives in October, accompanied by a world tour that sees Confidence Man roam this island in November and December. Needless to say, I've already got tickets, even if I will be the oldest, most grizzled ConMan there!
 
Latest single I Can't Lose You dropped in June, the video seeing the frequently topless Sugar Bones (Aidan to his loved ones) take it to it's logical and ridiculous extreme, with Janet Planet (Grace) following suit, or lack thereof, to be more precise. London 'copter spotters were in for an eyeful that day. 
 
Thankfully, Reggie Goodchild (Lewis) and Clarence McGuffie (Sam) kept their trademark black garb and netted cowboy hats on.
 
For your further listening and viewing pleasure, here's a trio of Confidence Man classics:
 
On & On (Again): Confidence Man & Daniel Avery (2023)
Holiday (Live @ Glastonbury) (2022)
Out The Window (2018) (also available in a deeper shade of Andrew Weatherall)

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I very much like Confidence Man and feel that 'Boyfriend' was one of the top songs of the 21st century. However watched the Glastonbury footage and wasn't convinced Grace was singing live. I think there was a bit of 'singing over my vocal track' to make it look like she was singing live. Makes me feel like still enjoying their albums but decline going to see them at a gig...happy to be told that I am incorrect re: the above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike - interesting comment about their Glasto 2024 performance. It'll be a lot more up close and personal when I see them later this year, so I'll have first hand. Having given it a little thought (not much, to be honest), it's such a vibrant, physical show that I'm less bothered than I thought I might be whether a few of the vocals are pre-recorded/mimed.

      I've seen a few shows where the artists are so out of puff from all the stage antics that they're miles wide of the intended note and barely get through the lines. I think ConMan shows are more about the vibe and the energy of the performance, so I'd probably be okay with it. On the other hand, if Blancmange or A Certain Ratio had tried that, there would be hell to pay! ;-)

      Delete