Tuesday 30 July 2024

Out Of The Page

A very, very happy birthday to the wonderful, magical Kate Bush, born 30th July 1958.

I fell in love with Kate at age 7, watching her mesmerising performance of Wuthering Heights on TV. Since then, she has produced an incredible body of work which demonstrates the breadth and persistence of her vision, not just the music, but the videos, the concert performances and the rare but fascinating interviews.

I've attempted a career-spanning, 66(ish) minute selection of songs to celebrate this woman's work (see what I did there?) It was impossible to avoid some of the big hits - there are so many - but I've also chosen some deeper cuts and alternative versions, including one of Kate's earliest demos from 1974, age 16. 
 
David Gilmour heard Kate's music and helped produce a demo tape, which led to a signing with EMI that continued for over a quarter of a century. Since 2011, Kate's releases have been on her own label, Fish People. Director's Cut revisited and reworked songs from The Sensual World and The Red Shoes. 50 Words For Snow, an album of all-new songs, followed the same year. 2016 saw Before The Dawn, a live document of her spectacular return to live performance in 2014. 

The first Kate Bush album I owned was Lionheart, a birthday gift from my brother's then-girlfriend in the 1980s. As such, this will always be my favourite, the songs deeply ingrained in my consciousness.
 
It speaks of Kate's mass appeal that it was one of the relatively few artists that my parents didn't complain about my playing loud at home. My brother, my friends, my girlfriends, pretty much everyone I knew owned at least one Kate Bush record.
 
When I lived for a brief time in Derby, the guy in the flat next door used to constantly play hair metal at high volume, with one exception. I knew that he either had a lady visiting or was trying to create his own luck for a night out whenever he played Kate Bush's greatest hits compilation, The Whole Story. We didn't have much in common, but we at least agreed on Kate.

Kate found a whole new generation switched on to her music when Running Up That Hill was used in the Netflix series Stranger Things. I've never seen it, but it must be alright if it means that Kate's music is appreciated all over again. 
 
Stick to the end of this selection and you'll hear a snippet from an unexpected phone interview by Emma Barton for BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour on 22nd June 2022. Even her speaking voice is a joy to listen to.

Have a day filled with love and hugs, Kate, and thank you for the gifts you have given, which continue to surprise, delight and enrich us.
 
1) Never Be Mine ('Director's Cut' Version) (2011) 
2) Hounds Of Love (Album Version) (1985)
3) How To Be Invisible (Album Version) (2005)
4) Night Of The Swallow (Album Version) (1982)
5) Delius (Song Of Summer) (Album Version) (1980)
6) Big Stripey Lie (Album Version) (1993)
7) Army Dreamers (Single Remix) (1980)
8) Symphony In Blue (Album Version) (1978)
9) Among Angels (Album Version) (2011)
10) The Sensual World (Album Version) (1989)
11) Kite (Album Version) (1978)
12) Don't Put Your Foot On The Heartbrake (BBC TV Performance) (1979) 
13) In My Garden (aka Garden By The Willow aka Something Like A Song) (Home Demo) (1974)
14) Wuthering Heights (New Vocal) (1986)
15) Shoedance (The Red Shoes Dance Mix) (1993)
16) ...Kate speaks... (2022)
 
1978: The Kick Inside: 11
1978: Lionheart: 8
1980: Army Dreamers EP: 7
1980: Never For Ever: 5
1982: The Dreaming: 4
1985: Hounds Of Love: 2
1986: Experiment IV EP: 14
1989: The Sensual World: 10
1993: The Red Shoes: 6 
1993: The Red Shoes EP: 15
2005: Aerial: 3
2011: Director's Cut: 1 
2011: 50 Words For Snow: 9
2014: The Season Of The Witch: Cathy's Home Demos (bootleg): 13
2014: 1979 Television Special: 12

Out Of The Page (1:05:38) (KF) (Mega)

11 comments:

  1. Great compilation Khayem! Interesting that you like Lionheart so much- reading about her career I know she likes this one least. I think this was due to lack of creative control and the rush from the record company to put out a second album. Incredible to think she was around 20 years old at the time. I still really like it although I feel 'Never For Ever' is where the work is really consistent. 'Lionheart' would stand up as one of the best albums in any artist's collection and I still listen to it often. The two I don't listen to as often are 'The Red Shoes' and '50 Words For Snow' but for me she is our most consistent female artist by miles..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. I think with Lionheart, it's that classic combo of 'first love' albums and records which connect with a memorable time in your life. I really love the other albums, but for example I vaguely recall buying The Hounds Of Love in a 3 for £20 CD offer at HMV circa 1997. The music is astonishing, it just doesn't quite resonate with a 'special moment' in my timeline.

      I find I have to be in the right space to listen to 50 Words For Snow (and Aerial, for that matter), though I think buying The Red Shoes several years after the fact meant that I could appreciate it as of itself and without a lot of the baggage (and relatively negativity) that seemed to be around it when originally released.

      I didn't know much about the background to Lionheart but that makes sense. It makes Never For Ever even more of a significant album as it demonstrated clearly that Kate knew what she was doing and should have been left alone from the start to pick her team, not have them chosen for her... As you say, incredible that this was all happening in the transition from her teens to her twenties.

      Delete
  2. There could be no better gift for her birthday. Another great job, Khayem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Walter, I really enjoyed compiling - and listening to - this one. A daunting task at first, yet the songs seemed to fall quite quickly into place once I got started.

      Delete
  3. Never heard of her but based on this selection I may investigate further

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One to watch, Ernie. You never know, she may even do a warm up gig at the Sebright Arms if you're lucky.

      Delete
    2. I don't know. She's not THAT good

      Delete
  4. Oh, Kate. Obligatory sigh, etc...

    ReplyDelete