Saturday 26 October 2024

Fifth Strike


Way back in October 2021, Picking up on a loose theme of "gigs I got tickets for, but never made it to", I reflected that John Grant is the artist that I've missed the most, with four attempts since 2011, three times with tickets purchased in advance.
 
After breaking down the tragic circumstances for each and noting that the last three missed opportunities had all been at the same venue, I closed by saying,
 
"Fingers crossed, I will get to see John Grant perform live on stage one day. 
Given my track record so far, I might have to choose a venue other than Bath Forum..."
 
So, with a new album The Art Of The Lie and UK dates to support, I was determined that this would finally be my chance to break my run of bad luck and see the great (Grant) man.
 
I took no risks and avoided all possible jinxes. Avoid The Forum in Bath? No sweat. This time, the location was the Bristol Beacon. Tickets in my name? Uh uh. Mike came to the rescue, buying tickets (I paid him after) so no part of the transaction even featured my name. Work crisis stranding me miles from the gig? No siree. I based myself in Stroud. Okay, my car might have broken down and they may have cancelled all train services to Bristol. But what are the odds?

Nope. I was on it. Friday 25th October 2024 would be marked in history as the day I finally got to see John Grant live in concert.

And then Mike emailed me at 3.15pm yesterday.

Obviously, I'm sorry and concerned for John Grant and I hope he makes a full recovery soon.

But my first, honest reaction?

FFS!!!!!

Yet...once I stopped thinking about Franz Ferdinand/Sparks, I regrouped and reflected that maybe Friday 25th October 2024 wasn't the right time after all and the moment, when it comes, will be magical.

So, what's a John Grant fan to do in the meantime?

Well, I'd held off buying or listening to The Art Of The Lie as I wanted to hear the songs for the first time as performed live on stage. Therefore, the next best thing is to curate a brand new 12-track Dubhed selection on the fly and repost my previous two efforts.

This one's named Fifth Strike (what else?) and it just about manages to cover each of JG's four previous studio albums, a couple from the superb Live In Concert double album with The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, another live performance recorded in Iceland for KEXP, a Nick Drake cover and a couple of remixes, one bootleg, one official. And of course, every single one is a gem. 
 
Quite happy with this one, considering I was blinking back tears as I compiled it...

More gig action on Sunday, but not what you might be expecting. Hope to see you here.
 
1) Fireflies (Album Version) (2010)
2) Tempest (Album Version) (2018)
3) Marz (Live @ KEX Hostel, Reykjavík, Iceland) (2013)
4) Snug Slacks (Album Version) (2015)
5) Black Belt (Say Hooo! Edit) (2013)
6) Day Is Done (Cover of Nick Drake) (2023)
7) Where Dreams Go To Die (Live @ BBC Radio 6 Music, Media City, Salford ft. The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra) (2014)
8) Voodoo Doll (Gwenno vs. Peski Kid Remix) (2016)
9) Why Don't You Love Me Anymore (Album Version ft. Sinéad O'Connor) (2013)
10) Outer Space (Album Version) (2010)
11) It Doesn't Matter To Him (Live @ BBC Radio 6 Music, Media City, Salford ft. The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra) (2014)
12) The Cruise Room (Album Version) (2021)
 
2010: Queen Of Denmark (ltd 2x CD): 1, 10
2013: Black Belt EP: 5
2013: Live On KEXP EP: 3 
2013: Pale Green Ghosts: 9
2014: Live In Concert: 7, 11
2015: Grey Tickles, Black Pressure: 4
2016: Voodoo Doll EP: 8
2018: Love Is Magic: 2 
2021: Boy From Michigan: 12
2023: The Endless Coloured Ways: The Songs Of Nick Drake: 6

Fifth Strike (1:03:40) (KF) (Mega)
 
And if you want even more JG Dubhed action...
 

2 comments:

  1. Blimey. I have had the same gig postponed five times (The Abyssinians - which happened in the end), but never heard of five separate gigs by the same artist being missed. You and John are jinxed.

    Enjoy The Wurzels on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it made it worse that a) Every live review of this tour gave it 5/5 and b) he played the previous night in Cardiff but I'm pleased to have something to look forward to in 2025 and to hopefully end the curse!

    ReplyDelete