Friday, 21 August 2026

Never Mind The Ballads, Here's The Proclaimers

But It Is by The Proclaimers nails it, a blistering, brilliant, un-tinted unstinting critique of the global shitshow that we're all bit part participants in.

The video is also excellent, revisiting the world that John Lennon Yoko Ono dreamed of in their song and video Imagine, back in 1971.

"The spirit of 85-year-old John returns to find the hypocrisy of Western countries and the tragic and sad world it is politically now." 

Only director Douglas Mackinnon achieves this through the art of puppetry, adding another layer to the song's meaning. 

Forty years on from their debut, a single by The Proclaimers arguably shouldn't be this good. But it is.


Today's post is dedicated to Stuart, for a friendship that's lasted even longer.


We say that’s not who we are
But it is
Injustice rising, de-civilising
We say that’s not who we are
But it is
Our collective conscience
Is proven nonsense
Every minute of the day

I’ve watched these years of decline
Now I’m an old man
I’d like to say things would get better
I don’t think that I can

We say that’s not who we are
But it is
When did we decide to aid a genocide?
We say that’s not who we are
But it is
Causing hunger, following warmongers
To the deepest pits of hell

We talk of barbarism
Like we left it in the past
While we elect malignant scoundrels
Each one as bad as the last

We lecture others on morality
While wi’ the deil we sup
We say we face down terror
Just hold a mirror up

We say that’s not who we are
But it is
Injustice rising, de-civilising
We say that’s not who we are
But it is
Our collective conscience
Is proven nonsense
Every minute of the day

Nonsense every minute of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment