Thursday, 20 August 2026

Billy's Six

I dip into the Beat-Club channel on YT often for it's archive gems, but it's served up a treat this week, with half a dozen songs performed by Billy Preston from 1972, the final year of the German TV show's transmission.

These may be completely out of sequence from the original broadcast, but none of that detracts from the soul power emanating from the screen and speakers. Billy is on top form, with a super fit band (including the Brothers Johnson as rhythm section) and the set choices are spot on. And that's before I pay tribute to Billy and co's inestimably cool hair and wardrobe. 

Just sit back and admire and wonder.

1) I Wrote A Simple Song
2) Summertime
3) Outa Space
4) My Sweet Lord
5) Hey Brother
6) Improvisation

It's two decades since Billy Preston passed in June 2006, but his reputation and influence are as strong now as ever. A CV that includes recording and performing with Little Richard, Eric ClaptonRay Charles, Sam Cooke, The Rolling Stones and, of course, The Beatles. 

I Wrote A Simple Song is the title track of Billy's 1971 album, an uplifting blend of soul, gospel, funk and R&B built around that instantly recognisable keyboard style. Simple it ain't.

Summertime is the oft-covered George Gershwin song from Porgy and Bess, and appeared on the Music Is My Life album in 1972. Billy opts for an instrumental interpretation, groovy as hell, and with a mid-song break to "imagine how Bach would play it...Bach, or Beethoven." Billy puts the 'class' into 'classical'.

Outa Space is another tune from the I Wrote A Simple Song album, the title giving a hint to the journey he takes the band on. A wonder to behold.

I had no idea that George Harrison initially gifted My Sweet Lord to Billy, and his recording appeared first, on his 1970 album Encouraging Words. Harrison's own version is so embedded in my psyche that it remains the definitive take, but I love this uplifting, gospel infused predecessor. And wait til you get to 2:30...

Hey Brother takes the tempo down a tad, but dials up the funk and soul. Again, a nod to the whole band here, it's a joy to watch these pros weaving in and out of the groove.
 
Lastly, an untitled improvised, just over a minute, but as satisifying as a hearty meal. Jools Holland was taking note.


No comments:

Post a Comment