Friday, 28 August 2026

Loosen Up And Jump Right In

I loved Friendly Fires' debut album in 2008, kind of missed their follow up Pala in 2011 and was completely oblivious to their third album Inflorescent in 2019. To be honest, in 2026 I thought that Friendly Fires were no longer a going concern.

So, the arrival on Wednesday of new single Lose All Your Friends was as unexpected as it was welcome. 

Co-founder Jack Savidge has departed, leaving Ed Macfarlane and Edd Gibson to continue, but this is a promising return. Rather than recreating their original sound from 2008, they've arguably gone back another twenty years, with a sound that's reminiscent of the sunset / Balearic / comedown sounds of 1988.

If you like the 3:48 video version, you buy the full 5 minute single version from Bandcamp for the bargain price of 80p, or go for the usual streaming/download suspects.

I'm also going to track down Pala and Inflorescent, and reacquaint myself with their self-titled debut. The latter got off to a rousing start with this single, which I misheard as "Jump In The Poo" and have been stuck with ever since...


No comments:

Post a Comment