Monday 17 October 2022

Lying In The Wake Of Overwhelming Changes

I've only featured Natalie Mering aka Weyes Blood here once before, when she featured in a Bob Dylan / Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands post. She's released four albums in the past ten years or so though I only became aware of her music when her last album Titanic Rising regularly popped up in 'best of' countdowns in 2019.
 
Weyes Blood's fifth album And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow is out in a month's time, preceded by lead single and opening song It’s Not Just Me, It’s Everybody, six beautiful minutes that channel Karen Carpenter and John Grant to stunning effect. The video's pretty wonderful, too.
 
Sitting at this party 
Wondering if anyone knows me 
Really sees who I am 
Oh, it’s been so long since I felt really known 
 
Fragile in the morning 
Can’t hold on to much of anything 
With this hole in my hand 
I can’t pretend that we always keep what we find 
Yes, everybody splits apart sometimes 
 
Living in the wake of overwhelming changes 
We’ve all become strangers 
Even to ourselves 
We just can’t help 
We can’t see from far away 
To know that every wave might not be the same 
But its all apart of one big thing 
 
Oh, it’s not just me, it’s not just me 
It’s not just me, it’s everybody 
 
Mercy is the only 
Cure for being so lonely 
Has a time ever been more revealing 
That the people are hurting 
Oh, it’s not just me, I guess it’s everybody 
Yes, we all bleed the same way 
 
Oh, it’s not just me, it’s not just me 
It’s not just me, It’s everybody
Oh, it’s not just me, it’s not just me 
It’s not just me, It’s everybody
 
And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow is available on vinyl, CD, cassette and digital formats, the latter offering up another song, Grapevine, that promises a hugely satisfying album and a late contender for my end of year album round up.
 
 
As Natalie says in the album press release, Weyes Blood is "still making it all happen in our very own, fully functional shit show".

2 comments: