Sunday 30 October 2022

Daylight Dubbing

To mark Daylight Saving in the UK, with the clocks going back at 2.00am this morning (the cat woke me promptly at 3.00am), here's some Daylight Dubbing, courtesy of Augustus Pablo.

All but one of the tracks on today's selection come from The Essential Augustus Pablo, a 2CD set from 2006 that actually lives up to the 'essential' tag. The exception, the version of Nora's Dean wonderfully titled 1975 single Scorpion In His Underpants, comes from another essential collection, 2004's 4CD set The Bunny 'Striker' Lee Story.

Much of the music featured here either appeared as single A-sides or version B-sides  on Jamaican 7" singles in the mid-late 1970s, with a few by other artists featuring or produced by Pablo.

It's still dark outside as I finish writing this but an hour in the company of Augustus Pablo and friends and I feel bathed in Caribbean sunshine.

1) 555 Dub Street: Augustus Pablo (1975)
2) Skanking Easy: Augustus Pablo (1972)
3) East Of The River Nile (Single Version): Herman ft. Augustus Pablo (1971)
4) Up Waricka Hill: Augustus Pablo (1974)
5) I Am Alright (Single Version By Augustus 'Gussie' Clarke): Gregory Isaacs & Old Boys Inc. ft. Augustus Pablo (1973)
6) King David's Melody: Augustus Pablo (1979)
7) Let's Get Started (Single Version By Augustus Pablo): Tetrack (1978)
8) Islington Rock: Augustus Pablo (1978)
9) Memories Of The Ghetto: Augustus Pablo (1978)
10) The Sting aka The Scorpion: Augustus Pablo ft. Nora Dean (1975)
11) Black Gunn: Augustus Pablo (1974)
12) Crucial Burial: Augustus Pablo (1979)
13) Bells Of Death: Augustus Pablo (1972)
14) Our Man Flint (Single Version By Lee 'Scratch' Perry): Augustus Pablo & Lloyd Young (1973)
15) El Rocker's: Augustus Pablo (1974)
16) Pablo's Satta: Augustus Pablo (1975)
17) King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown: Augustus Pablo (1975)
18) Fiat 125 aka Cowtown Skank Version: Augustus Pablo (1973)
19) Unfinished Melody: Augustus Pablo (1977)

10 comments:

  1. Great compilation Khayem! Having trouble downloading with Box. Never had issues before. Anyone else with this issue? Keep up the great mixes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello AceVen, thanks for your comment and sorry you've had problems with the download. I removed and replaced the link and it seems to be donwloading okay now. Hope this has solved the problem!

      Delete
  2. A well cool mix for a Sunday afternoon. I also had no luck downloading it, but having read your previous comment I'll go and have another try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. The download is still not working for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Swede and AceVen, this is very strange...! I've completely removed and recreated the Box folder and link. Each time I've tried on my own PC and I can download the file successfully so let me me know how you get on.

      Delete
    2. If the Box link still doesn't work for you, I've also placed the selection on Mega
      https://mega.nz/file/gl4hnKzD#2j6C6r5HfHPHXKMhopoNhuXcO9MTci0SlQxbeTBmIB4
      Sorry about this - fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. I was still unable to get the Box folder, but downloaded it first time via Mega. Many thanks Khayem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Swede! I think I've cracked the problem with Box so hopefully there shouldn't be any issues with future (or previous) posts from now on.

      Delete
  5. Solid mix of a dub master, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete