Friday 14 October 2022

It's Time To Free Associate

The Free Association popped up on my playlist again, a live session recorded at Maida Vale studio on 6th December 2002, broadcast on Breezeblock with Mary Anne Hobbs on BBC Radio 1 on 13th January 2003.
 
David Holmes' music is never far from my ears. This year alone he's released a highlight single with It's Over, If We Run Out Of Love, as well as a third outing for Unloved with The Pink Album and associated singles. And that's before you consider remixes of Orbital's classic Belfast and, released just last week, the Radical Mycology Remix of The Sky Without You by Andy Bell. And I haven't even touched on his stunning God's Waiting Room mixes for NTS Radio.

This is a rousing, energetic session, an exciting romp through songs from The Free Association's debut full-length album plus a Nina Simone cover version at the end which I don't think ever appeared elsewhere in recorded form.

I previously wrote about The Free Association in June 2021, including a 'Free Ass' mix by Pablo Clements from Psychonauts and my very own Dubhed selection. Links have been down for some time, but I've reinstated them in the original post, if you'd like to pop over for a listen.

1) Free Associate
2) (I Wish I Had) A Wooden Heart
3) Don't Rhyme No Mo
4) Whistlin' Down The Wind
5) La Dolce Vita
6) Everybody Knows
7) Pushin' A Broom
8) Paper Underwear
9) Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter (Cover of Nina Simone)

No comments:

Post a Comment