Wednesday 5 October 2022

Things Lost That Might Have Been

Queen by Tracey Thorn has been floating around my playlist again recently but I didn't want to post it at the time to avoid it getting lost or misinterpreted in the days following the passing of Queen Elizabeth II.

Queen is the opening song of Tracey's fifth - and, to date, most recent - album, 2018's Record. Produced by Ewan Pearson and with Warpaint's rhythm section, Jenny Lee Lindberg and Stella Mozgawa, it's a pulsing, driving pop song. The self-directed video references the lyrics, taking place in the "backseat of a blacked out car", cruising the streets of London, out of focus, mirroring the hazy reflections of what might have been and wondering what will be. 
 
Nothing flashy but then when it's Tracey Thorn singing to you, what else do you need? Both lyrically and visually, a masterclass in less is more.
 
Here I go againDown that road againI haven't solved it yetWhat happened if we never metIf I'd just ignoredThose sliding doorsIf I'd turned instead from your bed? 
Am I queen?Or something else I might have been?A star?Backseat of a blacked out carIs that me? Or someone else entirely?
 
And do I ever find love?Do I ever find love?Do I ever find love?Or am I still waiting? 
In the midst of sleepPictures come to meMemories and dreamsThings lost that might have beenIf you'd broke my heartVery near the startDo I sink alone like a stone? 
Am I queen?A magisterial has-beenI'm on fireA head full of desireThis is meI'm someone else entirely 
And do I ever find love?
Do I ever find love?Do I ever find love?Or am I still waiting?Or am I still waiting? 
Am I queen?Or something else I might have been?A star?Propping up the backstage barIs that me? Or someone else entirely? 
And do I ever find love?Do I ever find love?Do I ever find love?Or am I still waiting?Or am I still waiting? 
Am I queen?Or something else I might have been?A star?Backseat of a blacked out carIs that me? 
Or am I still waiting?Or am I still waiting?Or am I still waiting?Am I still waiting?Or am I still waiting?

No comments:

Post a Comment