Monday 6 March 2023

Nothing Glitters When You're Gone

Rapture, the third album from Bristol-based Emily Breeze, was released last month and I've been listening to it lots over the past few weeks. 
 
It's a great album and deserving of a more detailed post in it's own right later on. In the meantime, last Friday saw the release of a new remix of album track (and 2020 single), Confessions Of An Ageing Party Girl.
 
What makes this particular release even more special is that it features a rare remix from Massive Attack's Daddy G, in partnership with fellow Bristol legend Stew Jackson aka Robot Club.
 
Confessions Of An Ageing Party Girl (Daddy G vs Robot Club Remix) is a pulsing, throbbing beast of a song which kicks into full dancefloor filler halfway through. It's a radio-friendly remix, coming in at just over four minutes, which will have you putting it on a loop to hear it again and again. 
 
There's not a video for the remix (you can find the original via my post last July) though you can listen to it on YouTube and other streaming platforms. The remix isn't available as a physical release or via Bandcamp, but you can buy it from the usual outlets such as Juno and Apple.

Rapture is available on vinyl, CD and digital formats via Sugar Shack Records and other retail outlets. Emily is coming the end of her tour to promote the album and I'm sadly going to miss her sold out homecoming gig in Bristol on Friday. By all accounts, it's going to be tremendous.

Confessions Of An Ageing Party Girl
 
Some fell at the first sign of troubleHaircuts and interviews followedHow we laughed as they retreated into their salaries There but for the grace of god They can have my hands for a few pounds an hour I said But they'll never take my mind We danced and drank and talked and danced and drankAnd I threw my alarm clock out of the windowJust to prove I truly the last of the great bohemiansI was showing off
 
Nothing glitters when you're gone
 
Your shirt and tie looked liked fancy dressYou were so feral, we couldn't believe you'd fooled themBut I was secretly impressed you'd got a proper jobBesides, it wasn't real, you were a spyAnd we'd use the money to buy motorbikes and run awayForever and ever and ever
My dancing feet are wearyMy steps are twisted out of timeEternity under a strobe lightAs I drift through the dry iceDo you remember When we were running wild
 
Nothing glitters when you're gone
 
The party's over babyBut I'm never going homeWrap my arms around a stranger 
Nothing glitters when you're gone
 
The party's over babyThe house lights have come onWrap my arms around a stranger 
Nothing glitters when you're gone

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to your earlier recommendation, I had the album on pre-order, and I've been listening to it a lot as well over the past few weeks. Great record. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Rol. As a latecomer myself, I really enjoyed Emily's previous album but Rapture is a big step up. Glad you've been enjoying the album.

      The Bell used to be one of my favourite haunts when I lived in and around Bristol city centre in the 1990s so the song resonates with me. They used to have the most amazing jukebox there.

      Delete