Friday 24 March 2023

I Guess I Must Be Having Fun

Back to the 1980s for some weekend fun...but not as you know it. A clutch of brave DJs and producers - Danny McLewin & Tom Coveney aka Psychemagik, Ben Zaven Crane aka Mojo Filter, Blake Robin aka Luxxury and Nicolas Laugier aka The Reflex - have taken on some iconic songs and re-edited and re-imagined them for the 21st Century.

Opinion may be divided on whether the edits open the music up to new and interesting interpretations or whether, crudely put, it's a bastardisation of classic songs that should have been left alone. The fact that I've compiled and posted this selection probably tells you which way I'm dancing (badly) on this one. 
 
1) This Must Be The Place (Naive Edit By Psychemagik): Talking Heads (2010)
2) Arabian Knights (Mojo Filter Banshee Edit): Siouxsie & The Banshees (2012)
3) Rock The Casbah (Luxxury Edit): The Clash (2013)
4) It's My LIfe (The Reflex Re√ision): Talk Talk (2019)
5) Going Underground (The Reflex Re√ision): The Jam (2017)
6) Blue Monday (Luxxury 'How Does It Feel' Edit): New Order (2016)
7) Rapture (The Reflex Re√ision): Blondie (2017)
 
I Guess I Must Be Having Fun (47:54) (Box) (Mega)

7 comments:

  1. Intriguing, looking forward to hearing this - all new to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, middle aged man, I hope you enjoyed it

      Delete
    2. I've listened to it 2 or 3 times and I must admit its weird listening to songs I know inside out sounding different- there are a couple songs which I think if I had heard first I would prefer especially the Siouxsie one, but overall would agree with your summary 'none of them can beat the brilliance of the originals' - Thank you - it was fun

      Delete
    3. I quite like the inclusion of the child choir on This Must Be The Place but it slightly outstays its welcome overall. Then again, it was probably designed for DJing out not for repeated listening at home, so I get the point. I think I prefer Blue Monday to many of the 'contemporary' remixes that followed. It retains enough of the original but takes it in a pleasingly different direction. Thanks for your follow up comments after a few listens, middle aged man, they're always appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Agree with middle aged man - looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. Between them, there are hundreds of re-edits out there, not all of which hit the spot, but I think they've done a pretty good job with this selection

      Delete
  3. Stating the obvious but, good as these reimagined versions are, none of them can beat the brilliance of the originals...

    ReplyDelete