Tuesday 25 April 2023

Hell Bent For Leather...Russia's Greatest Love Machine

I Start Counting were David Baker and Simon Leonard, a couple of Middlesex University students who started DJing then recording demos together. Daniel Miller was sufficiently impressed to sign them to Mute in 1984, with their debut album My Translucent Hands debuting in 1986.

In July 1988, a month after the release of second album Fused, I Start Counting released their sixth single. In an unusual move, the pair combined the closing track of Side 1, a cover version the theme from 1950s/60s US TV Western, Rawhide, with a deadpan take on a Boney M. song. Thus, Ra! Ra! Rawhide was born. I'm guessing this might have been a crowd-pleasing mix from their DJing days and Mute were prepared to take a punt, releasing the single on 7", 12" and limited edition 12" remix by Mark Moore and Mark McGuire. 
 
There was even an official video, which I'd not seen until researching this post but YouTube happily offered up.
 
I got the 12" single secondhand in the 1990s, probably as a multi-buy, bargain bin job lot, and repeated plays regularly veer between morbid fascination, in-on-the-joke amusement and grimacing at how truly awful it is. If the four-minute version wasn't enough for you, here's the Moscow Chicks Mix by I Start Counting which features on the 12" and throws in the synth riff from Kraftwerk's Radioactivity for good measure.
 
I Start Counting released what proved to be their seventh and final single, Million Headed Monster, in May 1989. David Baker and Simon Leonard recorded new material but subsequently decided that it warranted a rebirth and so in 1990 I Start Counting transformed into Fortran 5. That story is for another post.
 
In September 2021, the duo released two albums of outtakes, demos and early versions of tracks from I Start Counting's 1980s albums, Re-Fused and Ejected. Both are available on Bandcamp, the latter containing an (excuse the pun) raw version of Rawhide.

 
For people of a certain age, the definitive version of Rawhide of appeared in 1980, courtesy of The Blues Brothers:

And if all that has whet your appetite for the original versions, then here's the opening and closing credits of the Rawhide TV series from 1959, sung by Frankie Lane, and featuring a horse-riding cast including a certain Clint Eastwood...
 
...but nothing can match this clip of Boney M. performing Rasputin on Italian variety show La Sberla ("The Slap") in 1978. As scottyunitedboy2925 comments on another YouTube clip of the same song, 
 
"A group of Jamaican performers, founded in Germany, singing in English about a Russian with a Turkish backing track. That probably achieved more cross-country unity in 4 minutes than many diplomats achieve in their entire lifetime."

Frankly jaw-dropping, I feel exhausted just watching Bobby Farrell strut his stuff.

4 comments:

  1. Some proper music at last! I once performed a short set of Boney M hits with a local diva in a karaoke bar in Moldova (to great acclaim might I add).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In your thirty-odd words, Ernie, I think you said more than I could possibly hope to capture in the post above! The patrons of that karaoke bar in Moldova are still talking about that very special night, I believe.

      Delete
  2. What a fun post. Loved all the clips and really enjoyed the Rawhide Rasputin mash-up (if that's the term). One of the best scenes from the Blues Brothers film and there were many great scenes. I've been meaning to write about Boney M as they were around at a time when singles sold in shedloads and they sold an awful lot of them in the late '70s. They are the only band to have 2 singles in the Top 12 best-selling singles ever (in the UK). Bobby was ahead of his time with the style of dancing but he didn't sing did he, so that was his 'thing'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alyson. Mash-up or car crash, I'm not sure, but I love it more than hate it, that's certain. In their time as Fortran 5, the pair painstakingly created a cover version of Bike by Syd Barrett using samples of Sid James. Later, they drafted in Derek Nimmo to 'sing' Derek & The Dominos' Layla. The wags! I will come back to them at a later date.

      One of my parents' few exceptions to the K-Tel & Ronco vinyl compilations was buying Night Flight To Venus by Boney M. so it's been an integral part of my childhood. And yes, Bobby would have had little lung capacity left for singing with all that dancing. I realise I dropped a subliminal pun with my final sentence's "Frankly jaw-dropping" intro as it was a Frank - producer Frank Farian - who provided the male vocals that Bobby mimed so well.

      Delete