Thursday 13 April 2023

Pourquoi Es Tu Devenue Si Raisonnable?

Pourquoi Es Tu Devenue Si Raisonnable? by Cadeau De Mariage aka Why Are You Being So Reasonable Now? by The Wedding Present.

"Pourquoi?" I hear none of you ask. Well, the later-than-usual timing of this post will give a hint that this isn't the one that I'd planned for today. Instead, David Gedge and co. have kindly stepped in to the rescue whilst I try to rescue my failing external hard drive, containing all of my digital music collection. And there's a lot.
 
The warning signs have been there for a short while: I purchased the hard drive (and a back up drive) in May 2013. The power cable on the latter failed early in the New Year and I've had a run of ordering replacements from Amazon only to find that none of them worked at all. This has meant that I haven't backed up my music collection in a while.
 
It quickly got to a point where I decided that, though the 'main' external drive appeared to be working fine, at 10 years old I should probably replace both with physically smaller drives with larger storage capacity. These arrived on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively.
 
As if sensing imminent redundancy, the 'main' external drive then started acting up, ejecting without warning, failing to power up or just refusing to be 'found' when connected to the Mac. So, instead of finishing and posting the planned Dubhed selection this morning, I'm copying files to the replacement drive instead. It took several attempts to get the outgoing drive to power up, be 'found' and stop ejecting and I'm nearly - nearly! - at the end, copying the final folder containing all of my Dubhed selections to date. Then it'll be time to create a new back up. Squeaky bum time, indeed.
 
Hopefully, normal service will resume tomorrow and the planned Dubhed selection will be just as apt - if not more so - in it's Friday setting. As a teaser, it includes a track that I've already referenced in a post/comment this week.
 
In the meantime, the opening video is of The Weddoes performing Why Are You Being So Reasonable Now? in French at The Boileroom in Guildford in 2018. It seems only reasonable therefore to leap back thirty years and grab the studio version of Pourquoi Es Tu Devenue Si Raisonnable?, released in 1988 as a 7" single in it's own right alongside the original English language version.
 
Merci beaucoup, Monsieur Gedge!


4 comments:

  1. Nightmare. This kind of thing causes so much stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly sorted now, but several hours that I could have spent in better ways!

      Delete
  2. As SA says, the source of so much stress. "The warning signs have been there for a while," you say. Why oh why do we never heed them! Hope you're all sorted out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nearly there, Alyson! It all happened relatively quickly. Finding a replacement cable for my 'old' external back up proved to be harder than expected - I ordered two that, on arrival, didn't actually work and I couldn't find an alternative. I got the new drives delivered within a couple of days and it was that point that my 'old' main drive that decided to fail. I probably need to be pre-emptive and replace stuff after a set period of time and not wait for any warning signs at all, that may be the lesson here!

      Delete