Monday 10 April 2023

Remember The Sound That Could Wake The Dead?

I don't care if Monday's blue or black and you can hold your head all you like, I don't have to wait until Friday to be in love with The Cure.

I love a remix and remixes of The Cure have always been worth the price of admission, so much so that Robert Smith endorsed a whole album of 'em with 1990's Mixed Up. 
 
When The Cure's back catalogue reissue campaign reached Mixed Up in 2018, not content with just including a bonus disc of previously released 12" versions, Robert Smith turned in a whole new album's worth of his own remixes called Torn Down.

Today's hour-long selection includes 12 x 12" mixes, spanning 1981 to 2018, none straying too far from The Cure's blueprint sound.

1) Primary (Extended) (12" Version By Mike Hedges & Robert Smith) (1981)
2) To The Sky (Resurrection Mix By John M. Pillin Jr.) (1990)
3) In Your House (Black Sand Extension) (2010)
4) Hello I Love You (Unreleased Psychedelic Mix) (Cover of The Doors) (1990)
5) Never Enough (Time To Kill Mix By Robert Smith) (2018)
6) Gone! (Critter Mix By Jeff Newell) (1996)
7) Just One Kiss (Remember Mix By Robert Smith) (2018)
8) Fascination Street (Extended Remix By Robert Smith & Mark Saunders) (1989)
9) Lost (Found Mix By Robert Smith) (2018)
10) This Is A Lie (Ambient Mix By Tim Palmer) (1996)
11) From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea (Love In Vain Mix By Robert Smith) (2018)
12) In Between Days (Extended Version By Robert Smith & David M. Allen) (1985)

1981: Primary EP: 1
1985: In Between Days EP: 12
1989: Fascination Street EP: 8
1990: Art Of Compilation 5 (bootleg CD): 2
1996: Gone! EP: 6, 10
2004: Join The Dots: 4
2010: Black Sand Extensions Volume 1: 3
2018: Mixed Up/Extras/Torn Down (3x CD): 5, 7, 9, 11
 
Wake The Dead (1:04:07) (Box) (Mega)

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm looking forward to listening to this, it's all completely new to me. I recently had a hanker to revisit early Cure from my youthful love of them but there has been so much more to enjoy since which I've somehow missed out on.
    And you can never see too many blackbird pics as far as I'm concerned. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed the selection, C. I like that Robert Smith took a deep dive when choosing songs to remix in 2018. Several of them are shorter than the originals but it's good to hear a different take on familiar tunes. In the spirit of your Cosmo Sheldrake/neighbour anecdote yesterday, I used to work with the sister of drummer Jason Cooper, around the time that he joined The Cure. That was over a quarter of a century ago and he's still with them!

      Delete
  2. Great selection of mixes here, many are new to me. I do love the extended mixes of Primary and Fascination Street. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mooz. It took a lot time to get hold of the 12" mix of Primary (sadly not on vinyl). I had Fascination Street first on import CD (it wasn't released as a single in the UK) then on the Mixed Up album. My favourite one of all is probably the Strange Remix aka Dub Mix of Pictures Of You. Not included here as it would have been slightly out of place and it features on another mixtape, which will appear here eventually.

      Delete
    2. Oooh yeah, I know that mix of Pictures of You and its great. I used that to close out one of my own Cure mixes because it is so great: https://moozlermusic.blogspot.com/2023/02/episode-174-two-cures.html

      Delete
    3. That was a great pair of mixes, Mooz. I've really enjoyed your dip into the Warp artists' archives the past couple of days too, I must leave a comment or two!

      Delete