Monday 3 April 2023

For Ryuichi-san

The sad news that we have been expecting finally came this weekend: Ryuichi Sakamoto passed away last Tuesday, 28th March at the age of 71.

I will at some point post a selection as a tribute, but there are so many angles and facets that I frankly didn't know where to start. However, artists around the world have posted their own personal musical dedications, several available as 'name your price' downloads. 
 
I've shared a few that I've found and liked, starting with a couple of short pieces. Firstly, Kazakhstan-born, Italy-based pianist Sasha Pavlova, recorded in 2014 when she was 16 years old. Next up is Dereck Higgins, from Omaha, Nebraska, swapping bass for some emotive keyboard and synth washes.
 
Back across the Atlantic and up to Perth in Scotland for Mr. Taguen Archives, who has created a transporting fifteen minute piece inspired by Ryuichi Sakamoto's work with Alva Noto.
 
Last but not least (this one's not free) is Victor Sol aka Lars Müller from Germany, who goes even further out there with three mixes of Even Tide, all eighteen minutes long and on a first listen, not all that different. Aptly described as "muzique to zone out_drone out".
 
I'll post my own tribute to Ryuichi Sakamoto as soon as I can complete a selection that comes remotely close to doing him justice. Sad news indeed.

 

  

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I know so little of Ryuichi Sakamoto's work but was quite emotional when I heard of his death. I associate him with David Bowie because of the film Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and that's them both gone now, both times cancer. Forbidden Colours one of my all-time favourite songs so I really should have taken the time to discover more from him.

    Think I'm going to seek out the film to watch again soon. Another one gone too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Alyson. To be honest, I'm still a Ryuichi Sakamoto 'beginner' in real terms. I don't have many of his albums and am pretty unfamiliar with his film compositions beyond Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and The Last Emperor. Forbidden Colours is one of my all-time favourites too.

      Echorich posted a Ryuichi Sakamoto tribute with a selection of YouTube clips including a stunningly beautiful performance of the theme from Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. Well worth a visit/listen:
      https://thatperfectbeat.blogspot.com/2023/04/ryuichi-sakamoto-1952-2023.html

      Delete