Saturday 22 April 2023

Out Here On The Perimeter, Nobody Can Hear You Scream

Celebrating Mark Stewart, 10th August 1960 to 21st April 2023.

I was preparing to put my head down for the night when the news of Mark Stewart's passing popped up on my phone. To say that I'm shocked, saddened and completely gutted is an understatement.

There will be a follow up post, where I try to articulate just why Mark Stewart is such an important figure in my musical education, to Bristol the place of my birth and to the world of music, politics and life in general. I just can't find the words right now.

In the meantime, here are 15 reasons why from the man himself, with The Pop Group, Adrian Sherwood and On-U Sound, Dennis Bovell, Holger Hiller, Primal Scream, Jah Wobble, Keith Levene, Andrew Weatherall, Gary Clail, Daddy G... the list goes on.

Rest in power, Mark, rest in protest.
 
1) She Is Beyond Good And Evil (Single Version): The Pop Group (1979)
2) Baby Bourgeois: Mark Stewart ft. Nicole Bottazzi (2012)
3) Citizen Zombie: The Pop Group (2015)
4) Psychoville (Digitalism Remix): Mark Stewart & Martin Peter (2005)
5) Autonomia (Electro Edit): Mark Stewart ft. Primal Scream (2012)
6) Digital Justice (Dub Remix): Mark Stewart (1996)
7) Home Sweet Home: Adrian Sherwood ft. Mark Stewart (2006)
8) Crazy Dreams And High Ideals: New Age Steppers (1981)
9) Fatal Attraction (Extended Version): Mark Stewart (1990)
10) A Very British Coup (Single Version): Jah Wobble ft. Keith Levene, Richard Dudanski, Mark Stewart, Andrew Weatherall & Youth (2020)
11) All Of My Senses (K.K. Null Mix): Mark Stewart vs Mike Watt vs K.K. Null (2022)
12) Forever Now (Mark Stewart Remixxx): Textbeak ft. Mark Stewart & Janine Rainforth (2021)
13) Television (Remix By Adrian Sherwood, Gary Clail & Mark Stewart): The Beatnigs (1988)
14) Apocalyspe Dub: Mark Stewart ft. Daddy G (2012)
15) We Are All Prostitutes (Crookers Remix): Adam Sky vs. Mark Stewart (2007)

Out Here On The Perimeter, Nobody Can Hear You Scream (1:16:22) (Box) (Mega)

4 comments:

  1. Hadn't heard this sad news. A great loss as you say. Thanks for the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ernie. I'd been thinking about a selection for The Pop Group as I belatedly bought Y In Dub earlier this year. Sadly, I hadn't contemplated a posthumous tribute getting there first.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this tribute, a far better selection of tracks than I could have imagined compiling. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Mooz, thanks I really appreciate it! There will be more, soon.

      Delete