Saturday 12 August 2023

Yeah, I'm Lying

I was listening again to Fisherman's Woman, the spine-tingling 2005 album by Emilíana Torrini, and my original intention was to randomly post At Least It Was, as it's impossible to have just one favourite song from the album.
 
Then I found a live performance from the 2005 Montreux Jazz Festival, which was even better than the studio version. 
 
Then I discovered that the entire set was available on YouTube. You really need to see this.
 
1) Today Has Been OK
2) Snow
3) Lifesaver
4) Intro to Honeymoon Child
5) Honeymoon Child
6) Intro to Sunny Road
7) Sunny Road
8) Tuna Fish
9) At Least It Was
10) Nothing Brings Me Down
11) Intro to Heartstopper
12) Heartstopper
13) Next Time Around
14) Fisherman's Woman
15) Summerbreeze
16) Intro to Unemployed In Summertime
17) Unemployed In Summertime
18) Serenade
 
Then I remembered that Emilíana Torrini returned in March this year with a rather wonderful new album with The Colorist Orchestra called Racing The Storm.

 
Then I was reminded just how brilliant Emilíana Torrini really is.
 
Then I thought that Swiss Adam (Bagging Area) might also like to hear this again.
 
Then it occurred to me that I should also give thanks to C (Sun Dried Sparrows), who delivered a superb Imaginary Compilation Album to The Vinyl Villain way back in 2017.

Then I realised that Friday had turned into Saturday and I really should go to bed.

8 comments:

  1. A unique insight into your butterfly mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just received a legal letter from The Butterfly Council, expressing that it is an insult that their minds have been compared to mine and that I will be subject to proceedings for allowing such inflammatory opinions to be published unchallenged on my blog. I think I should have stayed in bed...

      Delete
    2. Ignore them, they will have forgotten all about it already and moved onto something else.

      Delete
    3. You were right as always, Ernie!

      Delete
  2. Always a pleasure to hear Emelia especially that AW remix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord Sabre was on especially good form that day, wasn't he?

      Delete
  3. As SA says, always a pleasure, and I particularly love that AW remix as well. The Montreux live footage is superb - I haven't watched it all yet but I find her so engaging and the purity of her voice along with her songcraft incredibly moving. Also I must remember to use that description of her music as mentioned at the start of Lifesaver: "slow motion thrust metal"!
    I'd missed out on the news about the latest album with the Colorist Orchestra so many thanks for letting us know about that too (and for the kind mention).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. I originally missed your Emilíana Torrini ICA in 2017 as (to my shame) I wasn't visiting The Vinyl Villain as often but I've since recreated it and I have to belatedly comment that it is a rather fine introduction to/summary of her work. I wish I'd discovered that Montreux concert sooner too, it's just lovely. I love the between song introductions and explanations as well.

      I'd noted her new album too and, as often happens, then forgot to go back and buy it come pay day. I'll rectify that oversight in a few weeks' time...

      Delete