Wednesday 9 August 2023

If Kate Bush Was Drum & Bass...

If I'm going to be late to the party, I might as well do it once, twice, thrice...! On 30th July, Kate Bush celebrated her 65th birthday; last July, DJ Rap released a drum & bass remix of Kate's 1985 single Running Up That Hill, which was enjoying an overwhelming surge of interest following it's inclusion in the Netflix series Stranger Things
 
I completely missed all three. I'm making up for the first two now, but I haven't subscribed to Netflix apart from a brief 30-day trial thingy in 2022 pretty much for the sole purpose of watching Squid Game, so it may be a while before I belatedly discover what all the fuss was about Stranger Things.
 
I won't pretend that I've kept pace with DJ Rap aka Charissa Saverio since hearing - and enjoying - her work in the late 1990s to early 2000s but she's clearly been very busy in the past couple of decades, including Open The Daw, an interesting and insightful YouTube series on what it takes to be a DJ/producer. She's also kept the d+b flame burning, with her current single Higher, dropping a couple of weeks ago in all the usual places.
 
A radio edit/at-the-controls video of DJ Rap's remix is available on YouTube, with a link to a free WAV/MP3 download of the full length version. Personally, I love it. A propa eargasm, as DJ Rap is wont to say.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for calling this out. Stranger Things is fantastic, my daughter loves it, and subsequently loves Kate Bush because of it. Despite my repeated attempts to share Kate's music, it took a Netflix TV show to endear her to the younger generation. This is a great remix, and makes me nostalgic, I saw DJ Rap probably 20 years ago. Glad she's still churning out solid tunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think DJ Rap's done a fantastic job with this song, Running Up That Hill does seem especially DJ friendly. I'm going to dig out some of DJ Rap's millennial tunes for the weekend, for some future nostalgia! Thanks, Mooz.

      Delete