Sunday 27 August 2023

Weakened/Weekend In Dub

Celebrating the delightful dubs of Dennis Bovell MBE. I can't quite believe that it's been nearly two years since my previous tribute selection. Let's get on with it then!

Just over an hour and, as with the previous selection, an excursion into versions and deep cuts spanning 1976 to 2021 and a variety of genres all with Dennis Bovell's magic dub.

Today's image is recut and manipulated from an original photo by the extremely talented Will Hutchinson.

For more Dennis Bovell magic, check out his music on Bandcamp.
 
1) Hypocrite (Dub Two) (Cover of Matumbi): Dennis Bovell & Dubblestandart (2021)
2) 命の灯火 (Echo Of Light) (Dennis Bovell Dub Mix): Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra (1999)
3) Politik Kills (Dennis Bovell Remix): Manu Chao ft. Linton Kwesi Johnson (2008)
4) Frea Stoil: Dennis Bovell (1981)
5) If I Waz A Tap Natch Poet (Album Version): Linton Kwesi Johnson (1998)
6) Rockabilly Dub (Remix By Dennis Bovell): The Polecats (1983)
7) House On Fire (Special Dub Version By Dennis Bovell): The Boomtown Rats (1982)
8) Come To Light (Dennis Bovell Dub Mix): Drug Apartments (2017)
9) None Jah Jah Children (Melodica Version): Dennis Bovell (1976)
10) Won't Turn Back (Version By Dennis Bovell): Vic Godard (1993)
11) Trop De Bla Bla (Tracas Version By Dennis Bovell): Princess Erika (1988)
12) Wonderful World, Beautiful People (The Ragamuffin Version Excursion By Dennis Bovell) (Cover of Jimmy Cliff): Amazulu (1987)
13) Earthbeat And Earthdub (12" Version By Dennis Bovell): The Slits (1981)
14) Dub'er (Cover of The Beatles): Dennis Bovell (1977)
 
1981: Brain Damage: 4
1981: Earthbeat EP: 13
1982: House On Fire EP: 7
1983: Make A Circuit With Me EP: 6 
1987: Wonderful World, Beautiful People EP: 12
1988: Trop De Bla Bla EP: 11
1993: Won't Turn Back EP: 10
1998: More Time: 5
1999: 戦場に捧げるメロディー (Dedicated To The Memory Of Tatsuyuki Aoki) EP: 2
2003: Decibel: More Cuts And Dubs 1976-1983: 9, 14
2008: Politik Kills EP: 3 
2017: Drug Apts​/Dub Apts EP: 8
2021: Dennis Bovell Meets Dubblestandart @ Repulse "Reggae Classics": 1
 
Weakened/Weekend In Dub (1:01:15) (KF) (Mega)
 
You can find my previous Dennis Bovell tribute selection here 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Khayem, sorry I haven't been about much on the blogs lately, I've been very neglectful!
    But just noticed your lovely, caring comment over at Alyson's blog; I can give you a little update on things there if you are ok to email me? (sundriedsparrows at gmail dot com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C, thanks for your message and follow up email, much appreciated. I'm back at work today but I will reply directly asap.

      Delete
  2. Just discovered your blog, and loving it! I did a Bovell tribute as well -- some of it overlaps yours, but maybe you will enjoy: https://jonderblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Dennis%20Bovell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Jon, you're very welcome. I've been enjoying your blog for quite a while, though I've clearly been hopeless at leaving comments, which I must rectify! I loved the pair of Bovell mixes, several I hadn't heard in ages or at all.

      I loved your recent Sinéad O'Connor/Adrian Sherwood mix too, I hadn't realised that they'd collaborated so much.

      Delete
    2. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the Sinead/On-U Sound set! Dennis Bovell's dubs of Joss Stone and Steve Mason are two of my favorites among his recent work.

      Delete
    3. I love Dennis Bovell's dub of the Steve Mason album. Joss Stone was one of those that I'd never heard and might have missed altogether had it not been for your post. Great stuff!

      Delete