Saturday 5 August 2023

Pie & Mash With Matt Johnson

This was posted on Friday, The The's Matt Johnson interviewed by Jake Green...well, reminiscing more about growing up with Pie And Mash shops in London. Not date stamped but the format and closing comments place this firmly in the lockdown, circa 2020.
 
Growing up in Bristol in the 1980s, the closest comparison was the Clarks Pie shop on the high street up the road from where I lived and dotted around the city. Strictly takeaway only, and I can remember the Saturday tradition of getting pies and bringing them home for lunch. I honestly don't remember if mash or liquor were on offer - mushy peas and gravy definitely were - but we'd generally stick with the pie alone.
 
I loved hearing these anecdotes although there is inevitably a shadow of people and places long gone. Stirring stuff best not listened to on an empty stomach. Mine's already growling.

2 comments:

  1. That's lovely. Not that I could go for the pie and mash itself as veggie since childhood, but you'll understand!
    Have you seen any of the great images from Jake Green's book on the subject? Some here... https://spitalfieldslife.com/2018/12/23/jake-greens-pie-mash-shops/ Could it be a possible new photo theme challenge for John?! We even have one now in my nearby Suffolk town; a lot of Eastenders have ended up round these parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. Whilst Clarks Pies shops are mostly gone, the pies themselves are still around. However, Pieminister started off in Bristol and has been heading for global domination since, with veggie and plant-based options. I've eaten at their shop and concession in the city centre market but it doesn't come close to the Pie & Mash shop experience that Matt's describing.

      I'll be honest and admit that, until I saw this video, I had never heard of Jake Green but I'll definitely be investigating further!

      Your last sentence - and the image of an EastEnders ex-pat community in Suffolk - made me chuckle. In Bristol, it was unsurprisingly all Casualty cast when I lived there, although that may have changed when production upped sticks to Wales...

      Delete