Monday 21 August 2023

Understand We Must All Live In Peace On Earth

Some Mandatory Monday Reggae for you, courtesy of Prince Fatty aka Mike Pelanconi, who dropped a couple of new singles last Monday (14th).
 
100 Weight Of Collie Weed was originally written and recorded by Carlton Livingston in 1984 and Prince Fatty delivers four versions as a name your price EP via Bandcamp: a vocal version featuring Earl 16, a Disco Mix with additional vocals from Horseman and instrumentals of both.

The lead release is another cover, available on 7" and digital single, offering reggae and dub treatments of Expansions, Lonnie Liston Smith's classic from 1975. Featuring regular collaborator Shniece McMenamin on vocals, backed by an all-star band comprising ON-U Sound legend Carlton "Bubblers" Ogilvie (organ & piano), Finn Peters (flute) and Horseman aka Winston Williams (drums), it's an uplifting take on a personal favourite.
 
Not that Lonnie Liston Smith's version was the first time time I knowingly heard Expansions. Oh no. It was this release on PWL back in 1991...

I used to have Xpand Ya Mind (Expansions) by Wag Ya Tail on CD single and Lonnie Liston Smith is credited on the front and as a collaborator on a couple of mixes, but it's a far cry from his original jazz-funk odyssey. Speaking of which...
 
I finally added the song to my collection when I purchased cheapo-but-excellent compilation CD Soul Brother from my local Woolworths in 1999 or 2000.
 
The original version of Expansions is unbeatable but, as ever, Prince Fatty, Shniece and co. have done the song justice. You can buy the singles via Bandcamp or for the real (Dub)heads, Prince Fatty is offering up stem packs for these and many others via his online shop.

On an unrelated but happy note, after I finish today, I'm not back at work again until next Tuesday. It’ll be business as usual here. I have a very special gig coming up which I'll write about later in the week, plus a few more Dubhed selections together with the usual nonsense. I will also have the chance to post more comments on other music blogs, which I have continued to enjoy but have sorely neglected in the past few weeks. 

Mostly though, it's a chance to relax and expand my mind by listening to some mighty fine music.

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Prince Fatty tip-off, I will look out for that. I have the Carlton Livingstone original somewhere. Enjoy the gig and the break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the 100 Weight Of Collie Weed album but I haven't listened to it in a while, I must pop it onto my playlist.

      Delete