Thursday 31 August 2023

Wob Three Times

Describing Jah Wobble as prolific is a bit like observing that the sun is rather hot. 
 
August saw the release of his second album of 2023, the post-post-post-post punk delight of A Brief History Of Now, on US-label Cleopatra Records. The title track was released yesterday (30th) as the third single with a fun video.
 
Here are the previous two videos for I Am, I Am, I Am and Last Exit, in case you missed them.


Based on a few listens, it's a great album, chock full of good tunes, created in collaboration with Bristol-born former Banshee Jon Klein. There are 11 original songs and a cracking cover of the Wire classic I Am The Fly. 

A Brief History Of Now is available on physical and digital formats from Bandcamp and your favourite retailers.

Jah's first album of this year was in January, with The Bus Routes Of South London. It's no-nonsense title encapsulates the music within, nine pieces of music not only inspired by but literally written on buses going to, through or from South London.
 
As Jah recounts, 
 
"On one occasion a bloke asked me if I “was Jah Wobble”. 
I confirmed that I was. 
He asked me if I was working on anything new. 
I said “ Yes, right this minute now you mention it”, 
and then played a top line in, on the iPad . 
I asked him what he thought . 
He said he liked it and promised to buy it."
 
I hope that he did and that you will too.
 
Delving back into the Dubhed archives, Jah Wobble's had surprisingly few mentions so far, but here's a reminder of a selection that I posted in January 2022, titled In Wob We Trust and featuring some of his collaborations and remixes. Great stuff, if I do say so myself.

I'm seeing the great man himself live in concert (another very belated first) later this year, performing Public Image Limited's Metal Box with the Invaders Of The Heart. I do not want to wish the rest of this year away but words cannot describe how much I'm looking forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. Jealous of that show, I hope you thoroughly enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mooz, the gig's in the bowels of permanently moored boat, so my only concern is that Wobble's bass will burst the bow and sink us all!

      Delete