Monday 14 August 2023

Deep Breath

One of my favourite albums this year so far - and new to me - is the self-titled debut from Air In The Lungs aka Deborah Arnott.
 
I've been a subscriber to Last Night From Glasgow since November 2022 and I realise I haven't posted much about the steady stream of rather lovely new vinyl I've received in that time by the likes of The Bluebells, Skids, Billy Reeves, Gareth Sager and Davey Woodward & The Winter Orphans.
 
Air In The Lungs (the album) is described as a dozen songs exploring "bereavement and nostalgia, covering subjects such as worker's rights, adversity and hope". Deborah recorded the songs with Pat McGarvey and Rich Kass and the album was produced by Paul Savage from The Delgados.
 
The videos I've selected here are for Sweet Is The Dream, song one of side two, and You Didn't Know, which opens the album. Great songs in their own right, though Air In The Lungs is one of those albums that deserves to be listened to, end-to-end in its entirety. Sonically and lyrically, It's an astonishing collection of songs.
 
I was completely ignorant of Deborah Arnott prior to this album but I've since been led back to Blueflint, which she formed with Claire Neilson in 2003. This is Deborah performing This Is A Story for BBC Radio Scotland's The Quay Sessions in 2015. Stirring stuff.
 
Air In The Lungs is available on vinyl and digital download from Last Night In Glasgow.

No comments:

Post a Comment