Saturday 2 December 2023

Pogue, Pope, Poet

Celebrating Shane Patrick Lysaght MacGowan, 25th December 1957 to 30th November 2023.
 
I had originally planned to post this on Friday, but I just couldn't get the selection finished in time. And there's the dilemma: what to choose, when Shane MacGowan was responsible for writing some of the greatest songs of the last 100 years? And with The Pogues not just reviving but electrifying the Irish folk song tradition, bringing it crashing, flailing and cussing into contemporary culture in a way that has left an awe-inspiring legacy.

When my brother came home with The Pogues' second album Rum, Sodomy & The Lash in 1985, this 14-year old hadn't seen or heard anything like it before. The cover itself was morbidly fascinating. My Art 'O' Level class hadn't got anywhere near the work of Théodore Géricault (in fairness, neither did my 'A' Level) so I knew nothing of his most famous painting, The Raft Of The Medusa. However, the sight of various members of the band, stark bollock naked or in various states of distress was an arresting vision. Then there was Shane, shades on, sitting calmly amidst the chaos. 

The music within, produced by Elvis Costello, was a revelation. Much as I love the Shane-era Pogues albums that came before or after, Rum, Sodomy & The Lash is my favourite, encapsulating everything that is great about the band and Shane. Unsurprisingly, today's selection draws heavily from this album, although I've included some single and live versions to mix it up a little.

Half of the Poguetry In Motion EP also appears with two of the finest Pogues songs on record in The Body Of An American and A Rainy Night In Soho. I could have included more from third album If I Should Fall From Grace With God, but I had to make some ruthless cuts to get the selection to 45 minutes...which I ultimately failed to do. Then again, if you can't say fuck it to the 'rules' when compiling a tribute selection for Shane MacGowan, when can you?

I've intentionally left off Fairytale Of New York as I suspect we'll be hearing it even more than usual at this time of year and hopefully because it will get to be this year's Christmas #1 in the UK, surpassing it's original peak of #2 in 1987.
 
There have been lots of tributes to Shane in the past couple of days, including the always excellent Charity Chic Music and My Top Ten so I'm not sure what I can add that hasn't already said. But bloody hell, what an incredible life, talent and legacy.

Raising a glass to you, Shane, at peace but undoubtedly not resting!
 
1) Wild Cats Of Kilkenny (1985)
2) Boys From The County Hell (Album Version) (1984)
3) The Body Of An American (Single Version) (1986)
4) Sally MacLennane (Live @ Barrowland, Glasgow) (1987)
5) If I Should Fall From Grace With God (Live @ Brixton Academy, London) (2001)
6) A Pair Of Brown Eyes (Single Version) (1985)
7) Whiskey In A Jar (Long Version): The Pogues & The Dubliners (1989)
8) The Parting Glass (1985)
9) White City (Album Version) (1989)
10) Greenland Whale Fisheries (1984)
11) Thousands Are Sailing (Album Version) (1988)
12) A Rainy Night In Soho (Single Version) (1986)
13) Dirty Old Town (Live @ Brixton Academy, London) (2001)
14) The Old Main Drag (Album Version) (1985)
 
1984: Red Roses For Me: 2, 10
1985: Dirty Old Town EP: 8
1985: A Pair Of Brown Eyes EP: 6
1985: Rum, Sodomy & The Lash: 1, 14
1986: Poguetry In Motion EP: 3, 12
1988: If I Should Fall From Grace With God: 11
1988: If I Should Fall From Grace With God EP: 4
1989: Peace And Love: 9
1989: Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah EP: 7
2005: The Ultimate Collection/Live At The Brixton Academy (ltd 2x CD): 5, 13
 
Pogue, Pope, Poet (48:03) (KF) (Mega)

6 comments:

  1. What a great loss. I grew up with him and he accompanied me during a very long time. Every word is said and I agree to your words and raise my glass for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Walter. Another artist whose absence will be keenly felt.

      Delete
  2. Has any other songwriter had as good a patch over 3 years or so? Shane in the mid 80's was on fire (probably sometimes literally..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from Julian Cope, you mean? Seriously, it was a really tough job pulling this selection together. Rum Sodomy & The Lash alone is like a 'best of' and I only managed to cover the 1980s. In retrospect, I should have tried to squeeze in Summer In Siam or something from Hell's Ditch...

      Delete
  3. Excellent selection. Another huge loss in another huge year of losses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rol. Shane's passing was less of a shock and surprise than other but it's effect is no less deep as yours and others' reflections clearly show.

      Delete