Sunday 31 December 2023

Everything Playing At Once

"How did I get here?" as David Byrne once said. I know what he means. It's been a pretty crappy year in many respects, but music - and blogging about music - has been my salve, my safe space, my springboard back into the, at times, sheer madness of the wider world.

"What, no mega-mix?" as Ernie Goggins commented yesterday. Well, I'd always planned a Dubhed selection to sum up 2023 and see in 2024. Thankfully, it's not a 24-hour marathon attempting to squeeze everything in. Instead, it's a much more ear-friendly party mix at a smidge over an hour, sampling 17 tracks (and one interview snippet) including one song which didn't even make yesterday's end of year list!

This may be the only place today where you will hear Balearic, post-punk, downtempo, travelogue, dub, house, alternative, r 'n' b, politics, jazz and psychedelia all cut and pasted together. As I said to Ernie, more manic- than mega-mix. I think it turned out surprisingly well.
 
I have no plans for Dubhed to slow down in 2024, so expect more of the usual make-it-up-as-I go-along nonsense on a daily basis, inspired as ever by the music that soundtracks my life and keeps me going through good and bad times. 

On that note, a massive thank you again to you all for your continued support this year, it really means a lot. I hope that however you are spending New Year's Eve, it's a good one and that 2024 brings you much joy and happiness.
 
Happy New Year!
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!
Bliadhna Mhath ùr! 
Athbhliain Faoi Mhaise Dhuit!
Bonne Année!  
Ευτυχισμένο το νέο έτος!
Feliz Año Nuevo!  
Щасливого Нового року!
 
1) Ride A Cloud (Xavi's Campfire Mix - Khayem's Nice 'n' Splicey Edit): The Woodentops ft. Kyoko Sato *
2) Master Of Time: Jah Wobble
3) That Time Of Night (Hardway Bros Meet Monkton Uptown Dub): GLOK ft. Shiarra
4) Lack Of Sleep (Pye Corner Audio Remix): Maps
5) Cleanse Your Guilt Here: Algiers
6) Somehow It Feels Important (Auren Remix): Hairdressa
7) Tender Years: Robert Forster
8) I Laugh Myself To Sleep: David Holmes ft. Raven Violet
9) "do you wanna know what's changed about the music industry?": David Holmes **
10) Many Hands (Retroforward Dubbin' Hands Remix): D:Ream 
11) Brigada (Single Version): Bárbara Boeing ft. Phil Mill
12) Baba Louie: Jaimie Branch ft. Akenya Seymour & Kuma Dog
13) Go On Dub (Adrian Sherwood 'Reset In Dub’ Version): Panda Bear & Sonic Boom
14) 3rd Highlands And Islands Tour: Julian Cope
15) wifi: Spare Snare
16) There Will Be No Crying: Cleo Sol
17) $1 One Vote!: The The
18) Sunday's Cool: 10:40
 
Everything Playing At Once (1:02:45) (KF) (Mega
 
* This is possibly the laziest edit I've ever done. I've simply laid a copy of the mix on the other, with a 20-second delay and (roughly) beat matched. I like the repetition of Kyoko Sato's voice, so this version stayed in. 
 
** A snippet from Edith Bowman's interview with David Holmes earlier this month. Well worth an hour of your time.

18 comments:

  1. I'm going to pretend you did this just for me, so many thanks for this personalised service. Good to see "Wi-Fi" in there, it was one of my favourites of the year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ernie, I hope the further name check in today's New Year's Day post didn't tip the balance!

      I have JC/The Vinyl Villain to thank for Spare Snare. So much so that I joined as a monthly subscriber on Bandcamp in December so I now have their entire digital back catalogue to immerse myself. I already had the Sounds album on vinyl but there's a lot - a lot - of music there!

      Delete
  2. HNY, Khayem, and thanks for a year of great posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Anon, Happy New Year to you too. At the very least I can promise a quantity of posts in 2024, hopefully some quality in there too!

      Delete
  3. Happy new year Khayem, have a good one, thanks for all the music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A shorter lie-in than intended thanks to Cat K, Adam, otherwise I seem to have made it into 2024 largely unscathed!

      Delete
  4. Glad to know that you will be continuing in the new year. Listening to music, blogging about it, and making compilations are a refuge and a respite for me too. Bonne année à toi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks j, I'm looking forward to an eclectic, enlightening and entertaining 2024 over at jonderblog too!

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year, Khayem and here's to a great 2024 for you in blogging and life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C, you too. I'd settle for the blogging but life will be a bonus!

      Delete
  6. HNY Khayem, & thanks for all the fish, - all best in 2024! cheers anwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, anwe, I hope you had a good one too. And thanks again for the nod to the Algiers album, really like it. Have a great 2024!

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year and thank you for all the great music you have introduced me to over the last year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, middle aged man, and a Happy New Year to you too.

      And thanks once again for the pair of Teardrop Explodes 7" singles, they were very much appreciated!

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year to you and the clan K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CC, I hope you had a great Hogmanay and are match fit for 2024!

      Delete