Friday 14 June 2024

Indie Top 20 Jukebox

Indie Top 20 was a visible presence on the record racks everywhere from your friendly neighbourhood record shop to HMV and Our Price, Woolies and WH Smith. 

A modest start in 1987 saw Volume 1 issued by Band Of Joy Music Ltd., stating that "This high definition Ferric Cassette contains 20 full length hits by the original artists selected from the National Indie Charts in the weeks immediately preceding this release." 

The cassette was repackaged and relaunched in conjunction with Melody Maker and Beechwood Music, the latter continuing with the series (and expanding to vinyl) until volume 23 in 1996. 

Volume 1, side 1, track 1 was Mickey Way (The Candy Bar) by A Certain Ratio. The final song on volume 23 was Andrex Puppy Love by Orange Deluxe.

Today's selection culls from volumes 1-10. Not an original idea, by any stretch of the mark: Beechwood themselves issued their own 'best of' in the 1990s and, before that, the self-explanatory CD88, the series' first shiny disc issue and an essential snapshot, in my opinion.

I wasn't an avid collector of the series, to be honest. I got a couple of the early issues but I pretty much bailed out after CD88 as by then I was more interested (and financially able) to pick up the individual singles and albums of the artists I liked. That said, I'd always pick up a copy of the latest issue for most of the 1980s, just to have a look at the track list.

So, why an 11-track selection? Indie Top 20 Volume 4 (1988) was issued in two separate volumes. Part 1, sub-titled State Of Independents, featured The Smiths, The Woodentops, Pop Will Eat Itself and The Wedding Present. Part 2, sub-titled House, was a nod to the inescapable wave of club music, so S'Express, Coco, Steel & Lovebomb and Smith & Mighty

The latter appear in my selection, though the remainder is more firmly rooted in the guitar-based alternative scene, whether jangly (Talulah Gosh, The Field Mice) or jarring (The Leather NunThee Hypnotics). Some of these I will have first heard on the radio, courtesy of Janice Long, Andy Kershaw, Annie Nightingale or John Peel. Considering A Move To Memphis by The Colorblind James Experience was a Peel favourite and swiftly became one of mine too.

As the first volume noted, these songs were hits as far as the National Indie Charts were concerned, but none of the choices on this selection particularly troubled the UK singles charts. So, what better way to bring things to a close than with a bonafide smash hit from The Charlatans? The Only One I Know was their second single and on this day in 1990, was sitting at a high of #9, the second of three weeks in the Top 10. And it still sounds fantastic today.

1) Please Don't Sandblast My House: One Thousand Violins (1986)
2) Talulah Gosh (Single Version): Talulah Gosh (1987)
3) Lost And Found: The Leather Nun (1987)
4) You Make Me Feel (Album Version): The Woodentops (1988)
5) The Dark, Dark House (Special Re-Mix): Smith & Mighty ft. Jackie Jackson (1988)
6) I'm In Love With A Girl Who Doesn't Know I Exist (Single Version): Another Sunny Day (1988)
7) Considering A Move To Memphis (Album Version): The Colorblind James Experience (1987)
8) Preachin’ & Ramblin’: Thee Hypnotics (1989)
9) If You Need Someone: The Field Mice (1990)
10) One Of Our Girls Has Gone Missing (Album Version): A.C. Marias (1989)
11) The Only One I Know (Album Version): The Charlatans (1990)

Indie Top 20 Jukebox (44:10) (KF) (Mega)

8 comments:

  1. Some great tunes on there, particularly Considering A Move To Memphis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rol, I never get tired of listening to that song.

      Delete
  2. Nice selection. We named our puppy after Talulah Gosh. This covers a lot of ground. I mean, Leather Nun, Smith & Mighty, and The Charlatans... who'd have thought they'd sit so nicely next to eachother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mooz, great pet name there. I had a couple of rats circa 1999 which I adopted from the local rescue centre. I named them after these pop pixies
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dslUKjOnH3Y
      I think the rodents lasted longer than their namesake's career...!

      Delete
  3. Who knew the Colorblind James Experience had a second song? Not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dance Critters, perchance? I had the 12" single but it would have been on the back of Peel repeatedly playing ...Memphis.

      Delete
    2. 'A Different Bob' was the only one I remembered.

      Delete
  4. Ah, yes! Was that another Peel favourite? I vaguely recall hearing it on the radio. You've prompted me to dig out their self-titled debut album, which features all three of these songs.

    ReplyDelete