Thursday 6 June 2024

Who Dances Now To Their Song?

Pet Shop Boys have just released a video for their latest single, A New Bohemia, guest starring Russell Tovey and Tracey Emin.
 
Following Monday's guest post from Mike (which name checked PSB) and having inadvertantly continued a theme of artists who were releasing great music in my youth and are continuing to do so today, featuring Messrs. Tennant and Lowe was too good an opportunity to pass up.
 
Alex Metric channels Les Rhythmes Digitales to transform the song into a future retro 80s-infused club banger...

...whilst the demo sounds lush, even without the orchestration that furnishes the single version.

The final treat on the single is I've Got Plans (Involving You) which instantly sounds like classic Pet Shop Boys...which is no coincidence as the origin of the song apparently dates back to 1982.

Possibly shelved at the time because of it's thematic similarity to other "small town boy goes to the big city" anthems, I'm glad that it's been retrieved and completed, even if it did take four decades...
 
 
 
Like silent movie stars in 60's HollywoodNo one knows who you are in the hipster neighborhoodYour only friend is a memory of a dreamWalking down the Strip looking for the latest scene
 
Where have they gone, les Petites Bon-Bons?Who dances now to their sweet old song?I wish I lived my life free and easierI need to find a new Bohemia
 
Hot on the heels of the absolute last chanceI watched them trying out something new from FranceKamikaze eyes locked in a tranceImprovising a wild hypnotic dance
 
Where have they gone, les Petites Bon-Bons?Who dances now to their sweet old song?I wish I lived my life free and easierI need to find a new Bohemia
 
Every day is a warning evening might forgetThen the following morning has the sweet smell of regretI'm always in love, I'm easily ledMy life is a mess, like an unmade bed
 
Where have they gone, les Petites Bon-Bons?Who dances now to their sweet old song?I wish I lived my life free and easierI need to find a new Bohemia
 
Where are they now?Where have they gone?Who dances now to their song?I wish I lived my life free and easierI'm on my way to a new Bohemia

6 comments:

  1. I like that a lot, and the lyrics are classic Tennant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rol, it's a grower (even though I liked it in the first place)

      Delete
  2. Me too. And the video with its tribute to Margate and 'Ashes to Ashes'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I would have realised it was Tracey Emin unless I'd read it first.

      Delete
  3. Let's face it, PSB very rarely disappoint.

    This doesn't diverge too much from the tried and tested, but it still has a certain something that makes it something of a classic when it comes to their downbeat ballad numbers. The video is fabulous as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JC, I think your superlative PSB series served as an excellent primer and for me, this is up there with the best of their 'late period' singles.

      Delete