Tuesday 6 July 2021

Can You Name, Name, Name, Name Them Today?

On 6th July 1979, The B-52's released their eponymous debut album in the US. It arrived in the UK nearly two weeks later, on 20th July. I got a secondhand copy pretty much 8 years later, in 1987, on the back of the single Wig and belatedly picking up the Rock Lobster 12", a re-released hit single from the year before, both of which ignited my interest in the band. The album also evokes memories of my very brief foray into playing Dungeons And Dragons, with my school mates Phil and Chris. Phil was the Dungeon Master, and basically the only one that actually owned the sets, so we'd pile round to his house for a 2-3 hour session every so often. This may have gone on for less than a year and I never expressed any interest in RPGs again, but I have four distinct memories of this time:
 
1) One game/scenario ended up with the thrilling ultimatum, "Skate Or Die!" (I guess we were more swords and skateboards on that occasion, less swords and sorcery, although I don't think we owned a skateboard between us).
2) Phil's mum would bring us snacks, including the much-anticipated and mirth-inducing "rubbish tarts" (we think she meant "junk food").
3) Chris had a habit of yelling "Mumm-Ra!" (the Thundercats villain) randomly and out loud, (a) to freak Phil's mum out and (b) to wind Phil up.
4) Phil's aunt had Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms on CD, and Phil had taped it, which meant that we were frequently subjected to this (excuse the pun) dire album, whilst Phil delighted in telling us that the CD was different from the vinyl in that it contained extended versions of several tracks. They were all too long to begin with, in my opinion.
 
All of which preamble leads to the seemingly unlikely but happy story that I lent Phil my copy of The B-52's album and he loved it. I mean, really loved it. Yes, it's a fantastic album but what were the odds?
 
Phil, Chris and I have long since lost contact but this one's dedicated to them, Mumm-Ra and "rubbish tarts" (but definitely not Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits).
 


4 comments:

  1. Brilliant posts - 'rubbish tarts'!
    Saw B52's at Hammy Odeon two summers ago on the farewell tour - enjoyed it but it is time to retire guys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discovered them when Whammy! came out and worked backwards. Never lost an ounce of interest through Cosmic Thing when I saw them for the last time on that tour. Quality. I seem to remember that album from Dire Straits being the first digital recording. I'm not a fan either. Some Aztec Camera fans have never forgiven Mark Knopfler for his production work on Knife. I did rather like his soundtrack work on Local Hero, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Brian. Whilst the first couple of albums are untouchable, there's something to love on every one that followed, right up to Funplex. I'm in a more forgiving mood regarding the production of Aztec Camera's Knife, mainly because of the songs themselves.

      Delete
  3. I was tempted to see The B-52's on the same tour, but I didn't. I can't remember how or why, but I ended up seeing The Monkees in the late 80s. A bit similar to your experience, it was fun but rather sad at the same time.

    ReplyDelete