Sunday 25 July 2021

Floorshow

Mix CD-R, originally compiled November 2004 by Atom Boy for my wife & I, and "kind of dedicated to the mighty Phil Sainsbury and the various clubs where he DJ'd" in Bristol in the 1980s/1990s. By his own admission, some liberties were taken with the tracklisting: the Ofra Haza version of Temple Of Love over the original, for example. I've taken a few more liberties by re-inserting the 12" mix of Psychic TV, which wouldn't fit on the original CD-R, time-wise. I've also replaced the 7" version of Cccan't You See... with the 12" French mix, which (for me) is the definitive version and wasn't originally included as Atom Boy's vinyl was "unlistenable". As a consequence, I've split the compilation into two sides, which would comfortably fit onto a C90 cassette and is more fitting with the period of the music. Image is by Atom Boy, taken from the front cover of the CD-R. Draw the curtains, get some dry ice and low lighting on, down a pint of Snake Bite and forget it's Sunday morning...

Side One
1) A Day (Re-Mixed By Ivo & John Fryer): Clan Of Xymox (1985)
2) Singing Rule Britannia (While The Walls Close In): The Chameleons (1985)
3) The Shadow Of Love (The Ten Inches Of Hell Mix): The Damned (1985)
4) Israel (Single Version): Siouxsie & The Banshees (1980)
5) She Sells Sanctuary (Album Version): The Cult (1985)
6) Live For Today (Extended Version By Todd Rundgren): Lords Of The New Church (1983)
7) Temple Of Love (Touched By The Hand Of Ofra Haza): The Sisters Of Mercy ft. Ofra Haza (1992)
8) Lorelei: Cocteau Twins (1984)

Side Two
1) I Can Smell Your Thoughts (Remix): The Leather Nun (1987)
2) Turn To The Sky (The Spiral Tribe Edition): The March Violets (1995)
3) Heartbeat (Album Version): The Psychedelic Furs (1984)
4) Native Love (Step By Step) (Remixed By Rudy Turner): Divine (1982)
5) Good Vibrations (Kundalini Mix By Phil Harding): Psychic TV (1986)
6) Cccan't You See... (French Extended Mix): Vicious Pink (1984)
7) The Number One Song In Heaven (Long Version By Giorgio Moroder): Sparks (1979)
8) A Day (Re-Mixed By Ivo Watts-Russell & John Fryer) (Reprise): Clan Of Xymox (1985)
 

7 comments:

  1. Another brilliant mix..as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike, much appreciated! This was definitely Atom Boy's (floor)show this time, with a little fine tuning & sequencing from me.

      Delete
  2. Despite preferring the original version of "Temple" that was a gurt trip down memory lane there (striding into the Old E or The Highbury Vaults with some similarly vaguely Gothish dressed mates all chanting "Eighties, We're Living In The Eighties"! - everyone then {& myself now} thought we were a right bunch of bellends! Ah the confidence of drunken youth} Did get to see 8 of those bands live back then though. Cheers anwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anwe. I love both versions of "Temple" but the original would have been truer to the period, for sure. I was also a little hesitant about the later Spiral Tribe edit of The March Violets, but it was the only version I have! No apologies about the Vicious Pink swap, the English version just never captured me in the same way. I don't remember that song being played out quite so much, it was usually Fetish (though that might have been Phil Pinches Djing!) I don't think I was as fully committed as some of my mates - definitely not enough gel and hairspray, which made for an interesting look at the end of the night. That's an impressive live checklist, Anwe. I think I've managed 5, sadly not including The Sisters Of Mercy or Cocteau Twins.

      Delete
    2. 'Temple Of Love' is one of those songs that I know exactly where I was standing & when I 1st heard it (same region affected by the tragic floods that just swept through Germany & Holland)
      Nowt wrong with Ofra Haza mind - the NME 'World Music' cassette version of 'Galbi'& 'Im In Alu' where regular guests on mix tape/CDs of mine well into the late '90s.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great night in from the tracklist, will test it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adam. Likewise, today's selection at Bagging Area also got me digging out more KLF to listen to. Brilliant choice.

      Delete