Thursday 1 July 2021

Opposites Attract

 
Wow
I won't live long
And I'm full of rot
Gonna give you girl
Everything I got
 
Oh
I'm diseased
I don't mind
I'll make you love me
'Til the day you die

 
In the morning when I wake up
And I feel that lucky sun
I wish that I could go and make up
But I know my deal is done
 
And the peace and quiet that I'm feeling
Now that you are almost gone
It makes me feel somewhat guilty
But I'm not the only one
 
 
Touch Me I'm Sick was a staple at the Kandi Klub in Bristol which, fact fans, started in 1989, the year after this single was originally released. I have greater memories of the song being played a few years later, when the Kandi Klub had moved to the Bierkeller. DJ George would yell at us that our enthusiastic 'dancing' was making the floor - and his records - bounce. You can probably guess the response that he got. Sadly, both the Bierkeller and DJ George are no longer with us but Mudhoney are still very much around. Apart from this song, I knew very little about the band, until the excellent An Imaginary Compilation by Mr. Ed, covering 1988-1994, over at The Vinyl Villain back in April. Touch Me I'm Sick has also popped up in several blogs that I enjoy, including a great piece at the start of the first UK lockdown by Jez at A History Of Dubious Taste. More recently, in May 2021, the song was #7 in Rol's Top Ten Sick Songs at My Top Ten.

There's far, far less that I can say about Black Daniel as this is the only song I have by the band. Given the year it came out, this was most likely as a download from the RCRD LBL website and almost as certainly only because of the title's nod to the Mudhoney song. A quick scan of Discogs reveals that two of the members were previously Medicine8, who are much better represented in my collections through their remixes of Manic Street Preachers, X-Press 2, I Monster and Orbital.

2 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten about the Kandi Club...reminds me of nights at The Tropic up the road.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tropic was legendary. I only really caught the tail end of its hey day, but I regularly went there through its various reincarnations. I think the last time I went there (late 90s?), it was hosting a club night called World Of Cheese...!

    ReplyDelete