Monday 12 September 2022

Diving For More Pearls

Side 2 of a CD-R compiled by Atom Boy @ Metropolis Studios, Shizuoka, Japan, for me and Mrs. K in November 2004.
 
The second half of a rather brilliant compilation that we received as a gift in the winter of 2004. Six months later, Mrs. K and I spent a mind-blowing and unforgettable month in Japan, solely focused on the largest island Honshu, taking in Tokyo, Nara, Osaka, Kyoto and Hirsohima, amongst many other places. As part of the trip, we spent a week with Atom Boy and Atom Girl, who lived in Shizuoka not far from Mount Fuji. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for many reasons, packed with happy memories.

Side 2 of Diving For Pearls if anything ups the ante. Pink Industry's exhortation to throw "Morrissey in the bin" has appeared on one of my previous mixtapes, which I'm surprised to find I haven't yet posted here. I love Pink Industry's album New Beginnings, which features What I Wouldn't Give, and various tracks frequently populated my cassette compilations in the mid- to late-1980s.

Seamlessly flowing into The Smiths, the first album of theirs I bought was the Hatful Of Hollow compilation on cassette, so the radio sessions of several songs have remained the definitive versions for me. The version of Back To The Old House recorded for John Peel's show is sublime and a clear example of Johnny Marr's musical brilliance, coupled perfectly with the Manchester Racist's lyrical skill.

In an another obvious-but-it-works pairing, This Mortal Coil with Elizabeth Fraser covering Tim Buckley is followed by another song they covered on debut album It'll End In Tears, namely Another Day by Roy Harper. I don't think I'd heard the latter until receiving this compilation. Elizabeth Fraser's version is indelibly etched in my memory but Roy Harper's is beautiful and disturbing in it's own right. 

As for the final two songs, I'd be hard pressed to think of a better way to close this collection than with The Clash and Joy Division, whether in it's current incarnation as a two-sided compilation or in it's original 20-song, 80-minute mix as Atom Boy intended.

One of my favourite selections, full stop.
 
1) What I Wouldn't Give (Album Version): Pink Industry (1985)
2) Back To The Old House (John Peel Session): The Smiths (1983)
3) Gather All The Hours: Heidi Berry (1989)
4) Happiness Is Easy (Album Version): Talk Talk (1986)
5) Song To The Siren (Cover of Tim Buckley): This Mortal Coil ft. Elizabeth Fraser (1984)
6) Another Day (Album Version): Roy Harper (1970)
7) Maria: David Sylvian (1987)
8) Listening Wind: Talking Heads (1980)
9) Straight To Hell (Album Version): The Clash (1982)
10) Atmosphere (Sordide Sentimental Single Version): Joy Division (1979)
 

4 comments:

  1. What a great gift and it sounds like you had a blast on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did indeed, CC, although it feels a lifetime ago. Would love to go back and explore further but so many other places we've never visited...including parts of the UK!

      I've previously dropped a few photos from our Japan adventure into various posts but I should get around to a Japan-themed selection at some point.

      Delete
  2. Heidi Berry, now there's a blast from the past. Was a big fan of her self-titled album that came out in the early 1990s. Must dig it out and have a listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even gone that far, Ernie. Heidi Berry is another one of those artists that feature in my collection entirely due to appearances on various Creation and 4AD compilations. I really should check out more.

      Delete