Monday 19 September 2022

Mo' Monday Blues

Today is a public holiday in the UK, the second additional day in 2022. The first, in June, marked Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee, the first British Monarch to reign for 70 years. The second, today, observes the funeral of the Queen, a day-long event starting at Westminster Hall, moving to Westminster Abbey then Windsor Castle and culminating in her burial within St. George's Chapel. As has been the case since the Queen's death on 8th September, there will be live coverage throughout the day, should you wish to follow it. Judging by the shelves at a local supermarket, I'm guessing many will be doing so whilst getting blotto on whisky.
 
I've hesitated to post anything about the event to date; this blog is primarily about the music I love, with little bits of my life story popping up here and there. I've been interested by how several fellow music bloggers have acknowledged their own feelings, whilst being aware that it's a potential minefield of trolling and negative comments. 
 
I'm at home at Casa K today. I won't be watching the TV but I will make the most of this opportunity to be with my family and be productive.
 
I've started as I mean to go on with a freshly curated selection of tunes. The theme is very simple and completely unrelated to the Queen's funeral: being Monday, the name of every artist featured begins with 'Mo' (or 'The Mo'). The shortlist was still pretty long - 50 songs - and I reluctantly left off a few that I thought would be a sure thing: Mogwai, The Modern Lovers, Mojave 3, Momus, The Moonlandingz, The Monochrome Set; even The Monkees failed to make the final 11.

However, I do like how the selection has worked out. Moaning and Movement 98 (featuring Carroll Thompson) were dead certs for the opening and closing songs. Mohamed Karzo is another delightful discovery from my Sahel Sounds compilation purchases, whilst Mount Sims first came to my notice in a collaboration with The Knife and planningtorock. Mono were late to the trip hop party but perhaps would have soundtracked Killing Eve in an alternate reality. The two cover versions by Moodswings and Monkey Mafia are sublime. The rest of the selection is made up with Moby, Moloko, The Mock Turtles and Mojave Lords.
 
Any connection that can be made between the song titles and today's events is, I promise you, entirely coincidental.
 
1) Don't Go: Moaning (2018)
2) There's Nothing Wrong With The World There's Something Wrong With Me: Moby & The Void Pacific Choir (2017)
3) C'est La Vie: Mohamed Karzo (2017)
4) Spiritual High (Original Edit) (Cover of 'State Of Independence' by Jon & Vangelis): Moodswings ft. Martin Luther King (1991)
5) Being Is Bewildering: Moloko (2000)
6) Long As I Can See The Light (Adrian Sherwood's Dub Lighting) (Cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival): Monkey Mafia ft. Shirzelle (1998)
7) Strings And Flowers (Single Version): The Mock Turtles (1991)
8) Sweet Little Down & Out: Mojave Lords (2014)
9) Hollywood Bride: Mount Sims (2002)
10) Silicone (Mr. Scruff Remix): Mono (1997)
11) Joy And Heartbreak (Future Mix (Airplay Edit) By Paul Oakenfold & Steve Osborne): Movement 98 ft. Carroll Thompson (1990)
 
1990: Joy And Heartbreak EP: 11
1991: Spiritual High EP: 4
1991: Strings And Flowers EP: 7 
1997: Silicone EP: 10
1998: Long As I Can See The Light EP: 6
2000: Things To Make And Do: 5 
2002: UltraSex: 9
2014: Unfuckwithable: 8
2017: Agrim Agadez: 3
2017: More Fast Songs About The Apocalypse: 2
2018: Moaning: 1
 

No comments:

Post a Comment