Friday 2 September 2022

Nothing Can Stop The Masters At Work

I have a ton of remixes by Masters At Work aka Kenny 'Dope' Gonzalez & 'Little' Louie Vega, so it was a bit of a surprise to find that they've barely featured on this blog. Some redress today then, with a 10-song, 70-minute selection of remixes from 1992 to 2003.

Masters At Work immediately get down to business with a remix of their own side project, Nuyorican Soul, which bravely tackled Rotary Connection's I Am The Black Gold Of The Sun in the late 1990s. I featured this remix and multiple other versions of the song last September.
 
The selection closes with an equally brave rework of I Feel Love by Donna Summer. I've chopped the pounding intro from the full length eleven and a half minute original, cutting in for a (hopefully) smoother segue from Les Negresses Vertes, but it's a monster track nevertheless.
 
Trawling the MAW pages on Discogs for info, I spotted a comment from imad909 who summed it up as well as anyone can: "Years will come, years will go, but the work these two have put out will remain". 
 
I'm succumbing to the urge to dance even as I sit here typing this. Be warned, this groove is highly contagious.

1) I Am The Black Gold Of The Sun (MAW Remix) (Cover of Rotary Connection): Nuyorican Soul ft. Q-Tip & Jocelyn Brown (1997)
2) Show Me (Masters At Work R & B Mix): Ultra Naté (1994)
3) Reaching For The Stars (Masters At Work Mix): Fantastic Plastic Machine ft. Incognito (2003)
4) Time To Make You Mine (Kenlou Supa Mix): Lisa Stansfield (1992)
5) Helpless (The Kenlou Remix): Urbanized (1992)
6) Around The World (Mellow Mix): Daft Punk (1996)
7) Nothing Can Stop Us (House Mix): Saint Etienne (1992)
8) Very Important People (Masters At Work Main Mix): GusGus (1999)
9) Après La Pluie (Main Vocal) (Rukus Dubba): Les Negresses Vertes (1995)
10) I Feel Love (Masters At Work 12-Inch Mix): Donna Summer (1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment