Wednesday 9 November 2022

After A Fashion

Dressed To Kill by Fashion popped up on my random music shuffle. My brother had their 1982 album Fabrique on "double play" cassette, with the album on Side A and a slew of remixes on Side B, all produced by German legend Zeus B. Held (Bernd Held to his friends). I was fascinated by the music and the images of the band on the tiny cassette sleeve.

When I started buying music in earnest, secondhand copies of the Fabrique-era 12" singles were added to my collection: Move On, Streetplayer - Mechanik, Something In Your Picture and the mighty Love Shadow, featuring Gina X.
 
I've found a live clip of Dressed To Kill, performed at Alabama Halle, Munich in 1982. The on-stage line-up appears to be missing bassist Martin Recchi, but it's a compelling performance, ironically underpinned by a none-more-80s bassline, and Dee Harris giving a strong vocal up front. The audience seem less enthused, which seems a bit unfair.

A passing mention here, as this warrants a separate post, but this was the third of five iterations of the band, from the band's birth in 1978 as post-punk Fàshiön Music through to Fashion's pop/funk rebirth in 1981 to their demise in 1984. There was a brief reformation in 2009, this sixth iteration of Fashion essentially a solo vehicle for original singer and multi-instrumentalist Luke Sky. 
 
Not long after the 1982 show and ahead of a planned world tour, Dee Harris left the band. I was aware from buying Fashion's 12" singles that Alan Darby replaced Harris as lead singer. I didn't know about the fourth iteration of the band until researching this piece. 
 
Troy Tate was previously in The Teardrop Explodes but I had no idea that he'd also auditioned and been recruited to Fashion as lead vocalist (with Alan Darby on guitar). Less than 3 weeks after Dee Harris quit the band, the new line-up performed on BBC2's The Old Grey Whistle Test and a performance of Move On is available on Troy's YouTube page. I prefer Harris' original vocals to Tate's performance, if I'm honest, but Darby's guitar solo is a thing to behold.
 
This incarnation of the band didn't record or release any material and, in the wake of Troy Tate's departure, Alan Darby stepped up as lead singer and songwriter. From there, my interest waned rapidly, but Fashion's story is a fascinating tale of musical differences and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (if commercial success is victory).
 
Fabrique was re-released as boutique, ultra deluxe edition in 2021 in a limited run of 1000. If you want the low down on this, I point you to the ever-excellent Post Punk Monk, who dissected the box set and contents in an epic 11-part series of posts on it's release, starting here.

4 comments:

  1. Oh this brings back memories! I love your mention of being fascinated by the images of the band on the tiny cassette sleeve as well as the music, they were very striking looking. Mr SDS was more of a fan than me but I remember listening to Fabrique with him many a time. And now here's a memory test and a little puzzle to be solved... around 1982/'83, we watched a BBC TV programme featuring them, it was a sort of youth drama I think, probably Birmingham based, and they were featured in it, playing live in a club or venue. I can't recall much more than that but does it ring any bells with you or others? I tried an internet search but, with a name like Fashion, I did of course find all sorts of unrelated suggestions but not the one I'm looking for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That;s stumped me, C! I didn't see much of the post-school TV slot in the early 80s as my school as I was invariably at my parents' shop after school rather than at home, which was several miles further away. I did think of Murphy's Mob, but I think that was ITV and not set in Birmingham. Let's hope someone else can come up with the answer!

      Delete
  2. Zeus B Held has crossed my musical path a few times recently, most obviously with the Tribal Mix of Sinful by Pete Wylie. Thanks for this- not sure I've heard Fashion before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adam. Zeus B. Held was on my radar in the mid-late 1980s for his remixes of Sinful by Pete Wylie, Love Like Blood by Killing Joke and Like A Miracle by John Foxx, plus Fashion of course. I'll post a couple of selections for Fashion and Zeus B. Held productions/remixes in future.

      Delete