Friday 18 November 2022

It's Like A Cry For Survival

Side 2 of a mixtape, "mixed and demixed" (according to the cassette sleeve) by me on 30th January 1997 and featuring Paul and Phil Hartnoll aka Orbital. A long overdue follow up to Side 1, which was posted in August 2021.
 
As with the previous selection, I've swapped out one of the versions featured on the cassette compilation. Back in 1997, I had the 1995 reissue of the Midnight/Choice CD issue which had replaced the Sasha Mix from the original 1991 issue with Orbital's own mix from the 12" single. For this recreation, I've gone back to Sasha's remix.

The sole remix on this side, Come Into My Life, is by Abfahrt aka German powerhouse trio Jens Zimmermann, Jürgen 'Nosie' Katzmann and Torsten Fenslau. Not household names in the UK but behind a slew of 1990s Europop hits, most notably by Culture Beat. Sadly, Torsten passed in November 1993, a month after Come Into My Life got a UK release via the Guerilla label.
 
I mentioned in my previous post that Orbital are one of the best live acts I have ever experienced and Impact: The Earth Is Burning was a setlist highlight. Here, you get the mighty USA remix, a (nearly) eleven and a half minute epic and still one of my favourite Orbital tracks.
 
As the opener is called Sunday, I perhaps should have held this post over for a couple of days but, hey, you've all waited long enough for Side 2 already! Once you've listened to both sides, why not pop back to my post three weeks and enjoy Orbital's latest single, Dirty Rat, all over again? The Hartnoll brothers have still got it.

1) Sunday (1992)
2) Open Mind (F.A. Mix By Orbital) (1991)
3) Midnight (Sasha Mix) (1991)
4) Impact USA (Remix By Orbital ft. MC Tea Bag) (1993)
5) Come Into My Life (Hart Fab Mix By Orbital): Abfahrt (1993)
6) Analogue Test Feb '90 (1991)

1991: Funky Alternatives Six: 2
1991: Midnight / Choice EP: 3, 6
1992: Radiccio EP: 1
1993: Come Into My Life EP: 5
1993: Impact: The Remix (USA 12" single): 4

Side Two (47:03) (Box) (Mega)
Side One here

2 comments:

  1. Great selections here. Early-era Orbital is my favorite. I was fortunate enough to see them on the See The Light Tour in 1993.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as always, Mooz. I saw Orbital a year later in October 1994, touring Snivilisation. As you say, I feel very fortunate as it was an incredible night. I've continued to love Orbital's music pre- and post-reformation but there is something very special about their early singles and remixes.

      Delete