Wednesday 23 November 2022

See Your Eyes Reflected In The World

I don't own any albums by Robyn Hitchcock and each time I hear one of his songs, I make a mental note that I really should get one or two. I'm still failing spectacularly.

Robyn has been a regular feature on music magazine compilations over the years, whether his own material or cover versions. This way, I have amassed a default collection of about a dozen songs by Robyn solo, with The Venus 3 featuring Peter Buck, plus the odd track with The Egyptians or going way back to his early days with The Soft Boys.

Here's a nine song selection, half original songs, half covers, some predictable, a couple more unexpected, all sequenced into forty minutes of aural delight.

I've resolved again to dive into Robyn's extensive album back catalogue. I know there are a number of Robyn Hitchcock fans out there who visit and kindly leave comments so a plea for help: any suggestions or recommendations about where I start?!
 
1) Belltown Ramble: Robyn Hitchcock & The Venus 3 (2006)
2) The Ghost In You (Cover of The Psychedelic Furs): Robyn Hitchcock (2014)
3) Let Me Roll It (Cover of Paul McCartney & Wings): Robyn Hitchcock (2001)
4) Propellor Time (Early Version): Robyn Hitchcock & The Venus 3 (2008)
5) Tangled Up In Blue (Live In The USA) (Cover of Bob Dylan): Robyn Hitchcock (1999-2000)
6) Raymond And The Wires: Robyn Hitchcock (2017)
7) Kung Fu Fighting (Cover of Carl Douglas): Robyn Hitchcock (1990)
8) Ordinary Millionaire: Robyn Hitchcock & The Venus 3 ft. Johnny Marr (2010)
9) Heaven (Live @ The Marquee, London): Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians (1985)

See Your Eyes Reflected In The World (40:10) (Box) (Mega)

12 comments:

  1. Good stuff
    I' m scheduled to see him for the first time next year in a re-arranged gig.
    Belltown Ramble is a magnificent song

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed an opportunity to see Robyn in Gloucester back in May - it was a Saturday night gig too - which I regret. I'd take a punt on buying the Olé! Tarantula album on the strength of Belltown Ramble alone, I love the song.

      Delete
  2. Oh my word. Where to start with such prominent cornerstone of my life and record collection? Suffice it to say that when I pulled together a Robyn Hitchcock ICA for JC a couple of years ago, I was left in abject despair at having to leave so many wonderful songs out in the cold. I must work on a Volume 2.
    At the start of lockdown in March of 2020, Robyn and his wife Emma Swift began broadcasting twice weekly streamed concerts from their home, where together they tackled nuggets from Hitchcock's vast back catalogue, fan requested rarities and a fascinating array of covers, including whole evenings devoted to the works of Bob Dylan, Syd Barrett, The Beatles and David Bowie, all joyfully delivered from their laptop to ours and interspersed with warm conversation and regular appearances from adorable Scottish Folds, Ringo and Tubby. Us regulars in the audience have become collectively known as The Groovers to Robyn, Emma and each other - a band of brothers, sisters, friends and strangers, spread around the four corners of the Earth, tuning in to forget about our problems for an hour or so, be they personal, political, local or global.
    Robyn and Emma have continued to share a weekly streamed show (now up to around the 300 mark, of which I've seen over 200) via the Mandolin platform as and when their touring schedules allow - December's dates have just been announced. This is a very long-winded answer to your question. Treat yourself to a livestream or two (about £5 and available to watch again for 48 hours) and you'll quickly see what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Swede. I was scratching my head, wondering how I could have missed your Robyn Hitchcock ICA as I've been a regular if silent TVV follower for many years. I went back and had a look and realised that it was posted in April 2019. I remember that I started a new job on 1st April that year and managing the logistics and settling in (and not having a smart phone at the time) meant that there must have been a blogging blip that I didn't catch up afterwards. What a missed opportunity!

      Thanks for the enthusiastic signpost to the livestream, I'll definitely have a look. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. TBH The Swede is all you need. However there are albums that resonate with me. I got into RH in the early 90's and my selection reflects this. The 'classic' i guess is underwater moonlight when he was with the soft boys and to me this is probably the easiest introduction. However later albums I would recommend are not necessarily the best but would probably hit home on first listen rather than others which would take more listens. 'Perspex Island' is more commercial as is 'respect'. If you like those 2 albums then you could go for more challenging albums such as 'eye'. RH live is better than on record - the fact when i saw him on the boat (Thekla) he referred to it as The Kla I now cannot call it anything but The Kla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the suggestions, Mike, I'm open to trying out 'growers' as well as 'instant hits' so I'll check out all of these. Thanks also for reminding me about The Kla, that is a great anecdote!

      Delete
  4. As others have said, too much to choose from but 'Eye' as mentioned by Mike is a particular favourite. Mike is also right when he says you should catch him live if you can.

    And of course you have to have this one: https://youtu.be/mrK8yZm9h2k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great, Ernie, thanks for the link [Adds Luminous Groove to the album list]

      Delete
  5. Hi, I think that at this point he must be part of the OST of my life. I enphatically recommend you all the albums he made in the Egyptians period, full of inspiration and loads of imagination... Dan from Llao Llao, Argentina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment and recommendation, Daniel. I think Heaven, the closing track on this selection, was possibly the first post-Soft Boys song by Robyn that I heard and it's remained a favourite. Noted and added to the list!

      Delete
  6. I saw Robyn playing in Huddersfield Library one Sunday afternoon, just prior to Covid. One of the last gigs I went to (maybe the last), but it was a fine way to bow out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish we could get Robyn Hitchcock to perform in our local library. Must have been a pretty incredible gig, Rol...and home in time for dinner! What's not to love?!

      Delete