Sunday 20 November 2022

The Kindest Cut's The Cruelest Part

The Lexicon Of Love by ABC regularly features in "Greatest Albums Of The 1980s", usually to be found in the Top 10, often in the Top 5. I loved the singles, I loved Martin Fry's gold lamé suit, I loved the lush orchestration of the songs. All that and I didn't own the album until I bought the 30th anniversary deluxe CD of The Lexicon Of Love in 2012. 
 
It was buying belated sequel The Lexicon Of Love II in 2016 that finally prompted me to catch up with ABC's back catalogue, seven further albums in the 34 years between each Lexicon.
 
Through the 1980s, the stable core of a revolving line-up was Martin Fry and Mark White. White retired from music after 1991's Abracadabra album and ABC has continued with Fry as the sole founding member ever since.
 
It's been an interesting ride: second album Beauty Stab tried so hard not to be The Lexicon Of Love II and was a relative commercial failure, but the album reveals some great pop songs nevertheless. How To Be A... Zillionaire! and Alphabet City brought back some of the more familiar ABC sounds whilst being more firmly rooted in the 1980s than their arguably timeless debut. I remember being appalled by how awful When Smokey Sings was when I first heard it. The UK record buying public disagreed and I'll admit that I've grown to like the song over subsequent years.
 
Up and Abracadabra were blatant attempts to tap into the dance/pop crossover, 1991's Unlock The Secrets Of Your Heart name checking Shoom and The Hacienda (808 State's Lift, anyone?) At the time, I considered ABC past their sell-by date. Martin Fry already seemed old as the hills - he was actually in his early 30s - and it was hard to imagine him throwing shapes in a club. These songs have perhaps dated the most but on reflection, Fry and White's knack for a good tune and lyrics was pretty spot on.
 
The 'solo' albums Skyscraping (1997) and Traffic (2008) are lost gems, familiar ABC characteristics intact, both recalling Beauty Stab's (synth) guitar-heavy sound. Something that I'd missed/forgotten until returning to write this post was that much of Skyscraping was co-written with Heaven 17's Glenn Gregory, who also contributes keyboards. On Traffic, Fry reunited with former ABC drummer David Palmer, one of two co-writers and performers on the album, the other being Rod Stewart collaborator Chuck Kentis.
 
So, here's my first ABC selection, a C90-friendly side of eleven songs, spanning all nine albums providing a healthy dose of sunshine pop, grit and glitter, strings and tears. 
 
The title for today's selection is a line from All Of My Heart. The cover photo is from a school trip to Paris, circa 1986, and I'm guessing is a view atop the Arc De Triomphe. As the photo was taken on an (even at the time) crappy old camera and is blurred, dull and out of focus, I've applied a Leonardo Da Vinci filter from LunaPic to zhuzh it up a bit.
 
1) The Love Inside The Love (2016)
2) When Smokey Sings (7") (Remix By Bernard Edwards & Julian Mendelsohn) (1987)
3) Unlock The Secrets Of Your Heart (1991)
4) That Was Then But This Is Now (1983)
5) All Of My Heart (Album Version By Trevor Horn & Gary Langan) (1982)
6) Ocean Blue (Pacific Mix By Julian Mendelsohn) (1985)
7) One Better World (Album Version By ABC, Graeme Park & Mike Pickering) (1989)
8) Think Again (1987)
9) Life Shapes You (2008)
10) Ask A Thousand Times (1997)
11) Be Near Me (Album Version By ABC, Martyn Webster & Julian Mendelsohn) (1985)

1982: The Lexicon Of Love: 5
1983: Beauty Stab: 4
1985: How To Be A... Zillionaire!: 11
1985: Ocean Blue EP: 6
1987: Alphabet City: 8
1987: When Smokey Sings EP: 2
1989: Up: 7
1991: Abracadabra: 3
1997: Skyscraping: 10
2008: Traffic: 9
2016: The Lexicon Of Love II: 1

The Kindest Cut's The Cruelest Part (46:25) (KF) (Mega)

6 comments:

  1. Lexicon of Love is one of the great pop albums

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to believe it's 40 years old. It's aged better than I have!

      Delete
  2. I need to listen to some of the later stuff - TBH there isn't much re: ABC I don't like. We were so blessed to have so many fabulous acts / artists in the 1980's that whilst ABC wouldn't be in my top 10 of the era they made some amazing tracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me nearly 25 years to get around to it, Mike! It's not all solid gold but enough of interest across the various albums. I think I'd be the same with a Top 10, even if I limited it to 1982-1983! As you say, so many fabulous acts/artists at the time.

      Delete
  3. Here's the thing......

    The Lexicon of Love was such a perfect album that I reckoned ABC would never be able to come close to matching it. As a result, I more or less ignored everything that followed and had no idea so much material had been released since. I'll need to give this mix a good listen over the coming days/weeks/months - I've so much to catch up with just now.

    PS : Do you fancy adapting this piece to turn it into an ICA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did pretty much the same, JC, and whilst no album as a whole comes close to matching The Lexicon Of Love, the ABC catalogue is full of standalone gems. I balked at the prospect of The Lexicon Of Love II but in many ways the songs and lyrical content benefit from the 34 year distance from its predecessor.

      As for an ABC ICA, rather than a rehash of the above post, let me see what I can come up with (hopefully in 2023!)

      Delete