Saturday 19 November 2022

Scarlet Villagers

Today's selection is slightly different in that Scarlet Villagers wasn't a compilation as such but a CD-R of ripped albums gifted by my friend John in/around December 2011.

I've pulled together a selection from 10 of the 12 albums, not necessarily of my favourite songs but ones which seem to sit well together. The running order is exactly the same in which the albums were presented on the CD-R. 

The two albums excluded from this selection are Pentamerous Metamorphosis, Global Communication's epic re-imagining of Chapterhouse's album Blood Music and something labelled only as "Irish Trad" which I don't seem to have ripped. I also seem to have lost Le Tigre's self-titled album along the way so I've swapped it out for a DFA edit of album opener Deceptacon.

John's a very talented comic artist and letterer, as you can see from the self-produced sleeve. He's also switched me on to some great music over our decades-long friendship. Whilst I won't be holding my breath for another Scarlett Johansson album, the albums by Joan As Police Woman, Villagers and The Radio Dept. were my significant introductions to each artist and I'm eternally grateful.

1) Strength Through Music: Amanda Palmer ft. Ben Folds (2008)
2) NW Apt.: Band Of Horses (2010)
3) Lightning: Philip Glass ft. Janice Pendarvis (1986)
4) Fannin Street (Cover of Tom Waits): Scarlett Johansson ft. David Bowie (2008)
5) Bad Communication: Sufjan Stevens (2010)
6) The Meaning Of The Ritual: Villagers (2010)
7) Kiss The Specifics: Joan As Police Woman (2011)
8) Deceptacon (DFA Remix Pt. 1 / Vocal Edit By James Murphy & Tim Goldsworthy): Le Tigre (2001)
9) Memory Loss: The Radio Dept. (2010)
10) Still Sound: Toro Y Moi (2011)

1993: The Essential Philip Glass: 3
2001: Le Tigre Remix EP: 8
2008: Anywhere I Lay My Head: 4
2008: Who Killed Amanda Palmer: 1
2010: Becoming A Jackal: 6 
2010: Clinging To A Scheme: 9
2010: Infinite Arms: 2
2010: The Age Of Adz: 5
2011: The Deep Field: 7
2011: Underneath The Pine: 10

Scarlet Villagers (40:57) (Box) (Mega)

No comments:

Post a Comment